PDA

View Full Version : sources to quote to fabricate this block...

chris fox
12-21-2007, 8:08 PM
I originally posted this in the Design Forum....
link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71947

Hi everyone,
Its been a while since I have posted but I check back often and read the posts. I am in the middle of master bath remodel where all my free time is in to it. I started out to design and make the cabinents only. Since then I have installed Kerdi shower, set wall tile, plumbing, new floor, freestanding tub, walk in closet, and new paint. Yet to do is custom wood frame mirrors and his/her vanities/cabs. The cabs and mirrors are in the design phase and I am sure I will be back with questions.....

Anyway, my question. I am running a side project for a friend that needs 600 wood blocks for a sales training program. These blocks are used on large format color plots during the training sessions.
Attached is a 3D design illustration of this 1-1/2" thick block.
Heres what I need:
- qtys up to 600 pcs.(block halves)
- blocks will be painted or dyed a blue color
- the block will be etched with text.

The wood grain is not relevant to the design so a low cost/grade wood is ok to use.
I have local contacts for doing low qty parts in high density foam, plastic and wood but these high qtys I get killed on the price.
I need to know of a source that specializes in wood block building, etc.
So anyone here do this or recommend someone???

Thanks,
Chris

Kenneth Hertzog
12-21-2007, 8:22 PM
Chris
I have a question? you state that the block is 1.5 inch thick but how long is it? I could be interested.
ken

chris fox
12-21-2007, 9:36 PM
Hi Ken,

Its approx 7.7" long by 2.2" wide and 1.5" deep.
As you can see the text is etched into 2 sides. I would be intersted in if you can quote this too. FYI. I am getting quotes of $3.75 a set(4 block halves = set). I need 150 sets = 600 pcs.

thanks Chris

Kenneth Hertzog
12-26-2007, 7:46 AM
Chris
I see 2 blocks not 4 and what is the size of each block and what gets engraved on each block and on how many sides?
sorry for the questions. I would also guess that the color is blue.
If you want or can email me a detail drawing so I understand.
Sorry for the slow reply but the holidays were very busy.
ken

chris fox
12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Ken,

I am replying at work and have a .DXF drawing of this at home which I will send later this afternoon.
Size. The block half size is 7.7 x 2.1 x 1.5 thick.
Tolearace is .03" max.

Qtys. Each half butts up to the other on the 7.7" side. This makes 1 block.
For each sales training game there are 2 blocks(4 block halves) or 1 set.
I will need a total of 150 sets(600 blocks).
For quoting I am asking for numbers of 25, 50, 100 and 150 sets.

Material. I am open for material options wood makes the most sense its durable and takes a finish and could be dyed. Plastic is also an option.
It needs to withstand a drop on the floor during a sales training exercise, so 32-34" drop with minimal damage(i.e .no cracking, splintering or heavy denting)

Finishing. I will have the blocks laser etched(locally) on 2 sides(top face and the inside 7.7" where the two halves will meet.)
At this point the color finish could be painted or dyed. I am open to have this process quoted by someone too.

Thanks for inquiring, I typically deal with smaller qtys. using ABS plastic etc. in which I have sources here in Phoenix. Since I am a SMC member I thought this would be a good outlet to find someone to fabricate these who has the right tools.

Chris

Lee DeRaud
12-27-2007, 10:24 AM
If it helps any for material pricing, that works out to around 160 board-feet of wood for 600 blocks.

Doesn't sound like a CNC job in any case, just rip/plane/chop work: you might want to post this over in "general woodworking" also.

chris fox
12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I have someone on the forum thats interested and is quoting it. I think hes quoting to use patterns etc and not CNC.

Chris

Steve knight
12-28-2007, 12:33 AM
If it helps any for material pricing, that works out to around 160 board-feet of wood for 600 blocks.

Doesn't sound like a CNC job in any case, just rip/plane/chop work: you might want to post this over in "general woodworking" also.

there is only one straight plane on the block. so it would have to be cut with a pattern bit to get the shape. in this case it would take less wood to cut it with a pattern bit. myself I would not want to do it though (G)

Lee DeRaud
12-28-2007, 10:43 AM
there is only one straight plane on the block. so it would have to be cut with a pattern bit to get the shape. in this case it would take less wood to cut it with a pattern bit. myself I would not want to do it though (G)Fair enough: sounded like a pile of 1.5"x2.1"x7.7" rectangular blocks from the description here.

And if there's really only one flat face, the engraving step should be, um, interesting.

Steve knight
12-28-2007, 11:05 AM
trying to cut 1.5" with a pattern bit on endgrain would not be something I would want to do after thinking about it. thats a lot of force needed. just putting patterns on 600 blocks would drive me nuts.

Matt Zettl
12-28-2007, 5:50 PM
Since they're going to be painted, why not make them out of MDF. I think that this can be obtained in thicknesses of 1 1/2." If not, just glue two sheets together in a vacuum press. Stick the whole thing on a CNC machine, and let it rip. I agree with Steve that routing with a pattern on 600 blocks would be torture, not to mention dangerous.

-Matt

Steve knight
12-29-2007, 12:39 AM
I thought of mdf but I don't think it would hold up to getting dropped. Plus it is a real pain to seal all of those edges. but it is one of the few materials that was thick enough.

Matt Zettl
12-29-2007, 5:37 AM
Those are both very valid points, Steve. No matter how it's done, some aspect is going to be a pain. I'll be interested to hear how it is ultimately done.

Matt

Steve knight
12-29-2007, 12:45 PM
this one seems simple but it gets tricky. the thickness killed most materials since pretty much all ply's are under thick. plastic would be the best bet but color is the issue and cost. since it would be several hundred a sheet at the cheapest. and some plastic's can't be lasered.

AL Ursich
12-30-2007, 9:18 PM
The link on the first post gives you a great picture. Interesting product.

AL