PDA

View Full Version : Domino users & owners

Jay Jolliffe
12-21-2007, 6:51 PM
The work I do consists mostly of face framed & panel doors. Now I do the face frame with pocket screws where I can & mortise & tenon on the doors. Is everyone happy with what the domino does. Any regrets in buying it. I want to speed the process up in what I do & using a chisel mortiser is kinda slow.Your input is greatly appreciated:).

William Nimmo
12-21-2007, 7:02 PM
I still use pocket screws on face frames. Too fast and easy to use anything else. However I use the domino to attach the face frame to the carcass ,as not to see pocket holes inside. The Domino is everything it is cracked up to be and more. I don't get to use it as much as I would like, as woodworking is a part time side business, but when I do get to use it I can't imagine not having it. Great loose mortise and tenon joinery at super fast speed. The only isssue I have(not even an issue really) is the tenons are so tight, a dry fit is a pain in the neck. Luckily when using the guide pins and being careful, a dry fit is not even necessary.
If you are making money on woodworking, go for it, you will not regret it.

Jim Becker
12-21-2007, 7:03 PM
I still use pocket screws on face frames.

I would do the same if I had the Domino in my shop. Pocket screws are just too darn fast and easy for face frames!

frank shic
12-21-2007, 8:47 PM
i save the domino for furniture and freestanding case work and use pocket screws on face frame cabinetry.

Jeff Wright
12-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I find the Domino does an outstanding job joining face frame rail and stiles. If assembling narrow components, I've devised a simple solution to assuring perfect cuts that overcomes a limitation in the standard Domino registering pins. For an explanation, see . . .

http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=785.0

Tim Sproul
12-22-2007, 12:33 AM
The work I do consists mostly of .....panel doors. Is everyone happy with what the domino does. Any regrets in buying it.

For applications like a frame and panel door, I highly recommend you consider milling your own Domino tenon stock. I find the widths of the Festool Dominos to be too narrow for the best possible joinery when used as a single loose tenon in a single joint. So, my way around is to cut the mortises at the medium or widest width and mill my own tenon stock to fit.

I don't like pocket hole joinery for face frames. I've had too many failures of one sort or another...the biggest problem being splits at the end of a frame member. I suppose I could assemble with a horn and then trim it off but that defeats part of the purpose. I find Dominos are quite fast for face frame construction with a caveat. You've got to have enough time to allow the glue to cure for 30 - 60 minutes. If you're a production shop, that time is money so you'd stick with pocket holed frames....but if you're not a production shop, you probably have plenty of stuff to do in that 30-60 minute time frame....like figure out where you have enough room to maneuver the case to and then have room enough to attach the face frame :D.