PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christman Meaghan - Jewelry Box Pics

scott spencer
12-21-2007, 4:21 PM
This year's Christmas project is going to my oldest son's girlfriend of about 18 months. It's a combination of curly maple, birsdeye maple, plain hard maple, and padauk. The box style was inspired by a project in Wood within the past year, but we changed the dimensions and modifed the center inset quite alot.

The quandry we face right now is that he's been on the phone all day trying to convince her not to dump him. :eek: (fingers crossed...:rolleyes:) I'm guessing that "the finish may need to cure" for another week! ;)

Ralph Okonieski
12-21-2007, 4:48 PM
Beautiful job, Scott! Hope it works out for your son.

Bill Huber
12-21-2007, 4:49 PM
Nice loooooking...

Now the questions..

Is the top crowned on the inside or is it flat, it looks flat but I am not sure.

On the hinge, you are using the legs on the back to keep the top from opening more, is that correct?

I would say before you give it to her, make her sign a statement of intent....:D:D

Lee Schierer
12-21-2007, 5:52 PM
Nice looking box. I'm sure if it doesn't work out for the girl friend that Mom would love to have the box. ;)

Jim Becker
12-21-2007, 5:58 PM
Wow...that's a beautiful box. A wonderful gift!

Dan Barr
12-21-2007, 5:59 PM
nice box,

if it doesnt work out, im sorry. just go ahead and kiss it goodbye though. your thoughts were of her as you built it, so, it probably wouldnt match another person if you got to keep it and give it to anyone else anyway. your son might tell you to hold off on any new "handmade" gifts for future girlfriends. I know i wouldnt want my dad potentially wasting all that time.

v/r

dan

scott spencer
12-21-2007, 6:00 PM
Nice loooooking...

Now the questions..

Is the top crowned on the inside or is it flat, it looks flat but I am not sure.

On the hinge, you are using the legs on the back to keep the top from opening more, is that correct?

I would say before you give it to her, make her sign a statement of intent....:D:D

Thanks Bill - The inside of the lid is flat, and yes, the top stops against the back of the lags....it took a bit of subtle angling of the top portion of the legs to make that work out right.

Lance Norris
12-21-2007, 7:00 PM
Beautiful.

Brian Knodel
12-21-2007, 7:39 PM
Very nice and the wood is sure something else.

Brian

David Duke
12-21-2007, 9:45 PM
Fantastic box Scott, just a note of caution on the girlfriend though. About 8 years ago I made a jewelry box for my oldest sons fiance he had been dating her for 2 years...........they broke up 2 months later. Jump ahead about 4 more years did the same thing for my youngest sons girlfriend, they had dated since his sophomore year in high school for a total of 4 years.........they busted up in less than two weeks.

I swore then and there I would NEVER make the LOML a jewery box, in fact I havent made one for anyone since then.

Todd Jensen
12-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Its gorgeous, but hes never gonna keep a girl around giving her nice gifts like that.:D He needs to be spending his time with his friends and his time and money on doing stuff for himself - thats what keeps the good ones around(and some of the bad ones;)). A year and a half? Buy her a card and a knick knack, have the nice salesperson wrap it up, and go watch the game, ride his quad, wash his truck, whatever. Let her chase - girls seem to like a project and get bored when its easy. JMO, not saying don't be nice, just don't be easy.:)

gary Zimmel
12-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Scott

Beautiful looking box. Great wood and excellent workmanship.

Hope everything works out for your son.

Dave Cohen
12-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Beautiful box, and nice wide miters....how did you cut them? on the table saw ? If so what type of TS miter gauge did you use? Some detail on how you cut them so accurately with no gaps would be helpful, thanks.

scott spencer
12-21-2007, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Cohen;725176... Some detail on how you cut them so accurately with no gaps would be helpful, thanks.[/QUOTE]

...uh...putty! :D They were cut on the TS using my Incra V27, which pivots to 60°...the angles were 35° and 55°.

Lance Norris
12-22-2007, 2:09 AM
Its gorgeous, but hes never gonna keep a girl around giving her nice gifts like that.:D He needs to be spending his time with his friends and his time and money on doing stuff for himself - thats what keeps the good ones around(and some of the bad ones;)). A year and a half? Buy her a card and a knick knack, have the nice salesperson wrap it up, and go watch the game, ride his quad, wash his truck, whatever. Let her chase - girls seem to like a project and get bored when its easy. JMO, not saying don't be nice, just don't be easy.:)

How true it is.

Lori Kleinberg
12-22-2007, 9:20 AM
Very nice looking box Scott.
BTDT with sons and girlfriends ;)and they say raising girls is hard:rolleyes:.

Mark Valsi
12-22-2007, 9:31 AM
MY two cents worth of worthless opinon.

Great box. Give it to a family member !!! If your son and the gal break up, you will never see it again! and the odds of a break up are pretty high.

The box itself: WOW !!!!! I like it in all aspects !! Very good job !!

Victor Stearns
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Nice work.

Bill Wyko
12-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Great job Scott. An heirloom to be cherished for generations to come.

John Thompson
12-22-2007, 1:16 PM
Very nice, Dustmight... or did I already mention that in another life while sitting on a log eating "beans and franks"?.... ;)

Sarge..

Rich Torino
12-22-2007, 1:34 PM
Scott,
that's just a beautiful piece of work. I realy like the sublty of the contrast in the maples.. Hope everything turns out for the best for your son..

Dave Cohen
12-22-2007, 7:30 PM
...uh...putty! :D They were cut on the TS using my Incra V27, which pivots to 60°...the angles were 35° and 55°.

Oh good I recently purchased and am using an Incra 1000SE, hope it/me can produce similar/attractive results :rolleyes: