PDA

View Full Version : What do I do now?

Art Davis
12-21-2007, 3:00 PM
Hi, Folks,

I'm building a candle holder for my daughter out of hard maple and Wenge. My first time to work with anything more exotic than oak. Had a few issues with inlay that you all helped me with, but now have another problem.

In cutting dadoes for the legs, and in spite of a lot of care with test cuts, etc, I cut them perhaps 1/32 inch oversize, as per the shot below. I am using an Incra 3000 miter gauge, so that shouldn't be a source of the problem. Have a Biesemeyer fence, ditto. So maybe it's this *** Delta contractors saw! What do you think?

Anyway, what can I do to keep the voids around the legs from showing now that the goof has been made?

Frankly, I'm about ready to throw in the towel on trying to become a fine woodworker. Seems that no matter how much care I take, I just don't have the skill it takes. I've always had problems with making "stupid errors," but figured that with enough forethought and practice runs and the like I could eliminate those (at least reduce their frequency), but I don't see how I can prevent things like this from happening.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Art

Chuck Lenz
12-21-2007, 3:18 PM
So maybe it's this *** Delta contractors saw! What do you think?

I just don't have the skill it takes. I've always had problems with making "stupid errors," but figured that with enough forethought and practice runs and the like I could eliminate those (at least reduce their frequency), but I don't see how I can prevent things like this from happening.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Art
Yeah, everyone likes to pick on the Contractors saw, Blah, blah, blah. I doubt that it's that you can't do it. Your on the right track, have patience, stuff happens, no ones perfect.

Bill Huber
12-21-2007, 3:33 PM
What if.......

From what it looks like the leg is a block of wood and the dado is in the maple.

So at this point what if you cut the dados say an a little wider on each side of the leg and then cut a 1/8 inch dado in the leg. Cut a 45 on each side of the leg. Its not like you have to worry about the legs being strong enough to hold it up.

I know what you mean about the mistakes, I make them all the time, BUT each time I make one I hope I learn a little something from it. But then by now I should be a genus...

Todd Bin
12-21-2007, 3:43 PM
I am getting ready to make that exact candle holder. If I can ever find that copy of woodsmith. I have looked and now am not sure I ever bought it.

Anyway. I too seem to be off by 1/32 or make some other mistake. I just chalk it up to "that was a good lesson to learn and lets not do that again." People I regard as good woodworkers say they make mistakes too. What makes them good is they figure out a way to conceal the error or change the design to make it a feature.

Oh, and if you need an excuse to go and get a good table saw then: Of course the error was caused by that crappy old delta contractors saw.

Art Davis
12-21-2007, 4:11 PM
What if.......

From what it looks like the leg is a block of wood and the dado is in the maple.

So at this point what if you cut the dados say an a little wider on each side of the leg and then cut a 1/8 inch dado in the leg. Cut a 45 on each side of the leg. Its not like you have to worry about the legs being strong enough to hold it up.

I know what you mean about the mistakes, I make them all the time, BUT each time I make one I hope I learn a little something from it. But then by now I should be a genus...

Thanks, Bill. There is a half inch dado in the leg and a similar one in the base. But I think your idea might still work. I'll give it some thought.

Art

Mike Marcade
12-21-2007, 4:27 PM
Don't give up hope Art. I have been where you are many, many times. Sometimes you just have step away from it for a little bit and regroup your thoughts and your approaches to problems. But like someone else said you will learn from every mistake and it just broadens your experience.

Good luck with it and don't get discouraged.

Phil Harding
12-21-2007, 4:29 PM
Hi, Folks,

Frankly, I'm about ready to throw in the towel on trying to become a fine woodworker. Seems that no matter how much care I take, I just don't have the skill it takes. I've always had problems with making "stupid errors," but figured that with enough forethought and practice runs and the like I could eliminate those (at least reduce their frequency), but I don't see how I can prevent things like this from happening.

Art

I also feel your pain, but I've arrived at the conclusion that all woodworkers make mistakes. It's just a question of (1) learning from the mistake so you (hopefully) don't repeat it, and (2) learning how to correct the mistake so that it doesn't look like it was a mistake. Honestly, I've given this a lot of thought lately because it seems I've made all sorts of new (and dumb:mad:) mistakes on my latest project.

Don't be misled by TV woodworkers. Norm Abbrams and David Marks make mistakes too. But they have the advantage of editors so we seldom get to see just how human they also are.

Hang in there.

-- Phil

Don Bullock
12-21-2007, 9:47 PM
Bill had a great idea, Whatever you do, just turn your "mistake" into a "feature." Welcome to the world of working with wood.;):D Don't fret the small stuff. Just have fun.:)

josh bjork
12-21-2007, 10:49 PM
you can glue in a bit of wood and recut the dado in the body or make wider legs. It would be a little smoother design if the legs were relieved to cover up all of the joint you have exposed.

Pat Zabrocki
12-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Since the base is maple with a wenge stripe down the middle perhaps you could do the same to the legs. If you need to make the legs wider, you could split them down the middle and glue a maple strip inside. This would make a similar design element and "grow" the legs, too. Of course this is provided I understand you problem correctly.

Cheers
Pat

Brian Keith
12-22-2007, 3:17 AM
Art, I made the same holder but I used Pao Ferro for the legs which turned out to be very oily and the wipe on poly will not dry. I bought some Japan drier to strip them with. Heres some pics, body is covered so not to get the drier on it. Once I strip the legs I will post the finish pics.

Peter Froh
12-22-2007, 4:01 AM
Like Mortise and tenon....cut your dado first then fit the leg to the dado....should work if you ease up on the width of the leg till it fits nice and snug.

Art Davis
12-22-2007, 1:08 PM
Thanks all for some good ideas to ponder.

Brian---I look forward to seeing your pix. I will try to do the same if and when I recover decently from this mistake.

Pat---I kinda' like your idea of splitting the legs and adding a maple strip inside, but am a little reluctant to work with such small pieces. Maybe the bandsaw----???

Art

Art Davis
12-22-2007, 1:09 PM
I am getting ready to make that exact candle holder. If I can ever find that copy of woodsmith. I have looked and now am not sure I ever bought it.

Anyway. I too seem to be off by 1/32 or make some other mistake. I just chalk it up to "that was a good lesson to learn and lets not do that again." People I regard as good woodworkers say they make mistakes too. What makes them good is they figure out a way to conceal the error or change the design to make it a feature.

Oh, and if you need an excuse to go and get a good table saw then: Of course the error was caused by that crappy old delta contractors saw.

Todd,

I sent you an e-mail, but haven't gotten a response---so am wondering if you have received it. I would be glad to scan in the article and send it to you if you like.

Art

Brian Keith
12-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Art, these are the pics of the candle holder. Not done yet though, having trouble with the finish on the legs. Hope yours comes out better. Brian

Art Davis
01-03-2008, 2:00 PM
I thought I had made this post, but it seems to have vanished into that great cutoff bin in the sky---so here it is again.

Brian,

Here is a pic of my candle holder. After a lot of thought, I decided to let the slightly oversize dadoes go as is. My daughter does a lot of crafts and is an understanding person about such gaffs. She simply says that it proves that it is home-crafted! Her eyes really lit up when she unwrapped it on Xmas.

Is the body of yours maple? If so, it is a lot nicer than mine. Your holder looks fantastic to me!

Art

Thom Sturgill
01-03-2008, 2:19 PM
Since the base is maple with a wenge stripe down the middle perhaps you could do the same to the legs. If you need to make the legs wider, you could split them down the middle and glue a maple strip inside. This would make a similar design element and "grow" the legs, too. Of course this is provided I understand you problem correctly.

Cheers
Pat

I like this idea too. It gives a balance to the design by echoing the stripe. If the dado in the leg is too wide, glue a thin shim of maple to the bottom where it will not be noticeable.

I was once told that the mark of a craftsman in NOT that he does everything perfect, but rather how well he hides his mistakes by turning them into 'design choices' or by creating an illusion.

Craig D Peltier
01-03-2008, 4:07 PM
I made 9 for gifts. 4 or 5 from beech base an chechem or jatoba feet and 4 or 5 out of maple bases. They were a big hit. There are alot of work for such a small piece but they look nice. I used 5 coats of spray on poly.

Lee Koepke
01-03-2008, 4:47 PM
I thought I had made this post, but it seems to have vanished into that great cutoff bin in the sky---so here it is again.

Brian,

Here is a pic of my candle holder. After a lot of thought, I decided to let the slightly oversize dadoes go as is. My daughter does a lot of crafts and is an understanding person about such gaffs. She simply says that it proves that it is home-crafted! Her eyes really lit up when she unwrapped it on Xmas.

Is the body of yours maple? If so, it is a lot nicer than mine. Your holder looks fantastic to me!

Art
well, Art ... that kind of response makes it worthwhile. Its a very nice piece of work.

Brian Keith
01-04-2008, 3:01 AM
Art, yours came out very nice, I like the clear votives you used. The body on mine I made out of ash.

Craig , Great job, it took me a bit to do just one let alone how many you made. How long did it take you? Great job guys.

Im still having trouble with the Pao Ferro legs I used. I cant seem to get a finish to dry on them because of how oily they are. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Ron Jones near Indy
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Your solution looks very good to me Art. As others have indicated, sometimes craftsmanship is best shown by knowing how to make your mistakes invisible to others. You will always be your own worst critic. Good job!