PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Zebrawood Bowl

Chris Jenkins
12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't have a pic of the bowl, sorry I know -no pic means it doesn't count, but I'm at work.

I'm in a pinch for finishing this bowl at the 11 hour here for X-mass. I turned just a little 6 Dia x 2 Deep bowl.

I wanted to go with Mylands Friction Polish and then Buff the outside with the 3 wheel buff system, but I can't find any Mylands anywhere close.

Any suggestions on this? BTW I did put a coat of EEE on the inside of the bowl for now. I don't plan on making the inside too nice cause it is supposed to be a key dish. The oustide is currently sanded to 400.

Thanks,

Chris

Burt Alcantara
12-21-2007, 11:21 AM
My finish for boxes is similar to Mylands except it contains no wax. Douse with BLO with the lathe stopped to let the oil soak in. Turn the lathe on and friction it in until I can't hold the rag because of the heat. The oil will darken with heat but I'm talking "can't hold the rag" heat.

Follow this up with 6 parts SealCoat to 1 part mineral spirits. Some like an equal parts mixture with the oil added. I find I get a better finish with this combo. The mineral spirits basically thin the SealCoat and allows better coverage. You can vary the ratio to anything you like, just make sure you have more SealCoat then spirit.

Again, friction it in until the rag is dry and hot. Keep adding the SealCoat mixture until you get the shine/gloss/finish that you like. I find 2 or 3 coats will give me a nice soft gloss. I find I don't need to buff after this as the finish feels very smooth and yields a beautiful sheen.

Hope this helps,
Burt

Kevin McPeek
12-21-2007, 11:23 AM
If you're going to buff like a Beall type buff, just buff after the oil dries. No need for Mylands or friction polish. I use Deft spray finish quite often, it dries well enough over night. Might be better if you can bring it inside though.

Chris Jenkins
12-21-2007, 12:25 PM
What oil kevin? As I do have the Beall Buff system (though I have never used it)

Kevin McPeek
12-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I use Watco Danish Oil, but there are others available. You could use BLO or tongue oil too.

Benjamin Dahl
12-21-2007, 1:07 PM
minwax antique oil is another option but the others listed are good too.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2007, 3:20 PM
Oils will take a while to dry for buffing I have found. When I use oils I wait a week to buff. Any finish I have found it is best to wait a week when you are going to buff but that is just me. Don't know if it is right or wrong but I have had good luck doing it that way.

When I am in a pinch to finish something quick Deft Spray Can Lacquer is about the fastest I know. You can put a coat on about every 1/2 hour and do 4 or 5 coats or more. In these cases I use Gloss then I don't need to buff because of time constraints. Just a thought.

John Taylor
12-21-2007, 3:27 PM
HI

Zebrawood or Zebrano can be a problem to finish because of its open grain. I have found the best way is to sand to at least 600 then use EEE Ultrashine and then a couple of coats of EEE Shellawax and it comes up lovely.

john