PDA

View Full Version : 'nother ornament

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-21-2007, 9:56 AM
these are kinda fun.

after spending a whole bunch of time making pens, these christmas ornaments are a nice change of pace.

this one has a box elder body and redheart cap and finial. renaissance wax finish. 2-1/4" diameter by 3" long.

this is a gift for a good friend of LOML. her friend was my first "paying customer" for some pens, so this is a little thank you.

i'm having a hard time letting go of this one. i really like the wood and the shape. but, i guess i can make another one.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Jeffery that is a great looking ornament. I really like the shape.

Tony De Masi
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
NIcely done Jeffrey. Kinda has that space ship look to it.

Tony

Wilbur Pan
12-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Quick question on these types of ornaments: do you typically hollow out the inside of the body? What if the body was more spherical in shape?

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice looking ornament Jeffrey! I'm sure the friend will love it!

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-21-2007, 12:09 PM
thanks, guys! i appreciate the feedback.

wilbur--

this one is not hollowed out. i don't have any hollowing tools, so the box elder body is solid. with this flat shape, the ornament is still very light.

i may take some time over christmas break and make my own 'mini' hollowing tool and give that i try...

Dan Forman
12-21-2007, 3:44 PM
That's really cool, have to make some ornaments for next year.

Dan

Tom Sherman
12-22-2007, 2:53 PM
Jeff, that is a nice looking ornament. I too have no small hollowing tools, but have found a way to hollow them. I turn a piece of stock round with tenons on both ends then with a parting tool I define the size of the globe. Next I part the globe in half, from there you can hollow each piece and glue back to gether and final the shape of the globe. Works pretty well and you can get the walls down about as thin as you want. This is how I made the ornament for Rob in the ornament exchange.

Jim Becker
12-22-2007, 8:16 PM
I like that Jeff...and it's a little different than so many of them one sees. Nice!

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Jeff, that is a nice looking ornament. I too have no small hollowing tools, but have found a way to hollow them. I turn a piece of stock round with tenons on both ends then with a parting tool I define the size of the globe. Next I part the globe in half, from there you can hollow each piece and glue back to gether and final the shape of the globe. Works pretty well and you can get the walls down about as thin as you want. This is how I made the ornament for Rob in the ornament exchange.

tom--

i've seen that technique in a demonstration at out woodturner's club meeting.

i never gave a thought to doing a hollow ornament that way.

all i can say is "D-OH!" :D

Steve Campbell
12-23-2007, 5:20 PM
Jeffrey I like your form a lot.
I went out Friday and cut come box elder. I think I got lucky. It seems to have quite a bit of red in it. I rough turned a bowl yesterday that looks good. Today I turned an ornament with it. I did the microwave thing and hope I got it dry enough. We will see. I broke the finial on it just as i was almost done. Will finish when I calm down.

Steve

Tim Gruss
12-24-2007, 12:28 AM
That is a very pleasing shape, I really like your choice of woods. Well done.