PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw 36-944 - Any Info on this unit?

Daryl Upole
12-21-2007, 9:25 AM
I've been researching to buy a cabinet saw. What an ordeal! :eek: I starting thinking used - then compared the prices to just getting a new Grizzly. Then, I thought, for the extra $900, why not the PM2000? Then I thought, what about the PM 66? So, then I concentrated on these two manufacturers. Then I'm finding the difference in cost between used and new - especially with the logistics and risk of buying at a distance - does not seem sufficient to justify used.

I've Googled, read most of these postings here, then tried the suggestion of posting wanted on craigslist. At least I've gotten some responses on that.

I'm in a small town in NE Ohio and, in two years of looking, have yet to find a used cabinet saw offered for sale here.

So, here's where I'm at. A Unisaw 36-944 has been offered up at $1,300 that is about 1.5 hours away. Sounds interesting and the drive's no problem. But, I can't find any info on this model when I Google, etc. I did track down parts lists somehow from postings here. The parts list have the terminology "Platinum Edition" on them. I don't think I could re-create how I did that though. The owner bought this second hand. Via email, here's what info I have: 3HP single phase (just what I want), 4,000 RPM, 50" Biesemeyer, roll around base.

So, those are the facts that I have. I'm looking for input. Can anyone point to an owner's manual link specifically? The owner thinks this is about 5 years old. Does that seem right? Is this a good buy? I have a 2,400 Sq. ft. home shop for my own personal and small business use and use a saw, on average, a few hours a week. I'm looking for a one-time investment for the next long time (10+ years). The Grizzly I'd want would be under $1,300 delivered. The PM2000 $2,200 delivered. The PM 66 $2,500 delivered. This unisaw is a $1,300 asking price.

Thanks so much for looking and this wonderful forum.

Daryl Upole
12-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Oops .. I forgot that I did actually find this when I Googled and it found one unit at Burns tools with this model # & asking the same price - $1,300. And other like that was expired. This was also where I found the parts lists. So that was it - just a few hits under "unisaw 36-944" - and one of them was my post already!! I did try many variations of the model number as well.

Thanks

JayStPeter
12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Delta came out with a few different "Edition" saws in the range of 7-10 years ago. The "Limited Edition" and "Platinum Edition" saws were basically the same as the saw packages they offer now. Back then, the basic Unisaw was the saw and fence. The dust hoods, motor covers, and some of the other parts were not included. These packages included all that, a blade, a mobile base, brackets to hang your fence on the side of the saw, and maybe a couple other knick-knacks. Basically, what is included with the saw these days plus a mobile base. One of the special edition saws was off white instead of gray. Whatever the case, it's probably the same basic saw as my Limited Edition. It should be the same saw that they sell today, except made in the US. Go get it and end your suffering.

Jay