PDA

View Full Version : Need Drill Press Opinions

Christopher Stahl
02-22-2004, 7:36 PM
Hello All, new member here with my first post. Well, I'm trying to decide what to do about a drill press. I picked up a Delta DP350 before Christmas at Lowe's with their 20% deal which I have not opened and trying to decide whether to keep it or buy something different.

I've read quite a few reviews about this model having problems. So I've been looking at a couple models, but I would like to here other models maybe I should look for. The models I've been thinking of:

Grizzly G7944
Grizzly G9974
Shop Fox W1668
Shop Fox W1670
Shop Fox W1680
Jet JDP-14MF
Delta 17-965

I do like the idea of the oscillating sander on the Shop Fox. It would be nice to use the sanding feature until I get a spindle sander. I wouldn't mind going to a floor model.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but just would like to here some opinions and experiences. I guess I'm wondering if a $400 DP is something I really need or will the $200-$300 DP will do, or even keep the DP350. I'm probably leaning toward the Shop Fox W1680 17".

Thanks everyone!
chris

Robert Ducharme
02-22-2004, 7:59 PM
Welcome Christopher. Hope you enjoy the creek. Haven't run into any rapids yet so inflate your inner tube and away we go.

I have the Delta 17-990X - wanted the deeper throat and variable speed because I use it for both wood and metal.

Wolf Kiessling
02-22-2004, 9:06 PM
I bought my drill press about a year ago. I looked at some of the Delta models and finally opted for the Grizzly G7943. This is essentially the same thing as the G7944 except it is the bench model. I did not own any Grizzly tools at this time and really hesitated buying the DP, thinking it might be along the lines of HF tools, but am very happy I bought it. Until this time I bought nothing but Delta or DeWalt. In my opinion, it is a very satisfactory tool. Couldn't beat the price either at 180 bucks plus 50 for the shipping. I don't give it heavy usage, however, so I can't say how it would stand up under those conditions.

Mark Singer
02-22-2004, 9:20 PM
i have the delta 17-965....It will be hard to do better for the money! It has very long quill travel. East to adjust speeds. It has a fast adjuster on the depth stop and a quill lock which helps to set adjustments. It is the best drill press I have had and I could not find these features on Jet , Grizzly or Shop Fox when I researched.

Tony Falotico
02-22-2004, 9:21 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't consider a drill press a "priority machine" in my shop. I have a craftsman, and it drills holes through wood or metal or anything else I've placed under it. Yes, sometimes I have to shim it up to get perfectly perdendicular holes, but how often is a hole critical?

What I am trying to say is that IMHO, A decent FLOOR model drill press will perform just fine on the occasions I use it, I wouldn't go all out for an expensive super duper model, I'd rather save my money for quality machines I consider a higher priority, such as planer, jointer, table saw, chop saw .....etc.

Hope this makes sense, just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

John Weber
02-22-2004, 9:32 PM
I agree with Mark, unless you are going to pick up a used Delta or Powermatic variable speed DP, the Delta Mark has is a very nice machine.

John

Dale Thompson
02-22-2004, 9:52 PM
Christopher,

I'm in Mark's camp. I like the Delta 17-965 so much that I bought one for my son for Christmas. This is in spite of the fact that I am a REAL cheapskate. NOW - if I could just afford one for MYSELF!! :(

Dale T.

Christopher Stahl
02-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the Shop Fox or Grizzly at the moment, but I'm going to take a look at the Delta 17-9xx models.

Does anybody think the Delta DP350 I have now is a decent model?

thanks again,
chris

Sam Chambers
02-23-2004, 3:52 PM
Christopher:

I have the Grizzly G7944 and so far, so good. I also liked the Shop Fox, as the idea of multi-purpose tools is appealing in my small shop. But I decided to go for best bang-for-the-buck. At about $250 delivered, I think it's a bargain, especially compared to a new Delta or Powermatic. My only complaint is that the nut on one of the pulleys likes to work its way loose. I suspect a few drops of Lock-Tite will fix that, if I can ever remember to get some while at the hardware store.

The G7944 has plenty of speeds, including a very low 140 rpm low range - great for larger Forstner bits. I would have prefered one with longer spindle travel (it has a range of 3 1/4"), but it hasn't been a limitation so far.

Hope this helps.

Roger Fitzsimonds
02-23-2004, 4:46 PM
Welcome Christopher,

I have the bigger Shop Fox bench top. It has done every thing I have needed including the spindel; sanding feature. I does not have the travel of a real spindle sander but being a hobbiest I just take my time..

Roger

Ken Garlock
02-23-2004, 6:09 PM
Hi Chris. While the Delta 17-965 may very well be a fine tool, for another $25 you can step up to the Grizzly model 7948 20 inch, 1.5 hp beast. I bought my 7948 last fall, and it is really built like the proverbial outhouse weighing in at 300 libs, and it has a 5/8" chuck. The speed is easy to change. There is a release level on the side of the case to takes the tension off the drive belts, then it is a simple matter of following the drawings in the cover. Return the lever to the original position and you are ready to go.

Christopher Stahl
02-23-2004, 7:39 PM
Thanks for all the info! I'm definitely returning the DP350 and getting something better. I'm still leaning toward the Shop Fox 17". Although, now I'm starting to think Delta 17-965. I'm pretty sure I don't need anything larger than 17". ;)

thanks,
chris

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 12:35 PM
I have the 17-965. It has worked great for me although changing speeds on it is a "where the hell did I put the stool" kind of effort but not a problem, really. Pay attention and don't pinch your little digits! :)

The only gripe I have against the Delta is the shoddy construction of the on/off switch. It is mostly plastic and I had it fail on me once. I was shocked as I took it apart...metal screws into plastic...not a good thing for strength and longevity.

However, I fixed it after a few minutes of tinkering and it has been fine ever since.

Look into plans for a nice top/fence for your DP...their tables are not meant for woodworking.

Michael Ballent
02-24-2004, 12:41 PM
What ever machine you end up with, just make sure that the depth stop is not the dial type... hard to adjust and notorius for not staying in place...

-Michael

Stan Smith
02-24-2004, 10:06 PM
I also have the Delta 17-965 and prior had the 990. I like everything about the 965 except the run out. I was going for the Jet but heard the run out on it was really bad.

Stan

Hank Wangford
08-12-2011, 2:22 PM
Hello All, new member here with my first post. Well, I'm trying to decide what to do about a drill press. I picked up a Delta DP350 before Christmas at Lowe's with their 20% deal which I have not opened and trying to decide whether to keep it or buy something different.

I've read quite a few reviews about this model having problems. So I've been looking at a couple models, but I would like to here other models maybe I should look for. The models I've been thinking of:

Grizzly G7944
Grizzly G9974
Shop Fox W1668
Shop Fox W1670
Shop Fox W1680
Jet JDP-14MF
Delta 17-965

I do like the idea of the oscillating sander on the Shop Fox. It would be nice to use the sanding feature until I get a spindle sander. I wouldn't mind going to a floor model.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but just would like to here some opinions and experiences. I guess I'm wondering if a $400 DP is something I really need or will the $200-$300 DP will do, or even keep the DP350. I'm probably leaning toward the Shop Fox W1680 17".
Thanks everyone!
chris

Ah the paradox of choice - the more things there are to choose from, the harder the choice becomes...!
IMHO you can't fault the Shop Fox W1680 (http://drillpress-reviews.info/shop-fox-w1680-17-inch-drill-press/)
Good luck with your decision!