PDA

View Full Version : Negative Space Vase - Slightly long post

Raymond Overman
12-21-2007, 9:16 AM
I went to the ACC show in Charlotte a while back and saw some turnings that I really liked. The concept of the pieces at the show were a little different but the technique was something I thought I could adapt for myself. I just wish I could remember the lady who made the pieces name so I could give her proper credit for the inspiration behind this piece. If anyone can clue me in I would appreciate it.

When my father's wife (I hate the word stepmother because she's more than that) asked for one of my "newer artistic" pieces for Christmas I couldn't come up with anything that I was satisfied with. I finally remembered the work at ACC and put together this piece.

The vase is defined by both the wood and the negative space. I like the ripples on the inside because I think it gives the piece some movement and makes you want to look inside.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the process. I'm going to do some more of these and will try to get a tutorial or video on my website. I'll let you know when I get it out there.

The black spots in the hickory are worm holes. I guess they're where the tannins in the hickory reacted with whatever the worms were doing. It's interesting how it bled in some places and didn't in others. I'll probably work on the finish a little more before giving it as a Christmas gift but I couldn't wait to post it.

Sorry for the poor picture. Critiques and comments welcome.

Hickory Vase with Base
Lacquer finish
14" tall by 6" diameter

Benjamin Dahl
12-21-2007, 9:23 AM
Raymond, that is very cool. I think your dad's wife will really like it and I hope to see more of these from you in the future.
Ben

Paul Engle
12-21-2007, 9:35 AM
What an idea, cannot wait for the tutorial for sure. You are right , that piece (s) of wood really is doin the talkin...Nice work Raymond. Merry Christmas!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2007, 9:38 AM
Raymond....I look forward to the tutorial!

BTW...Did anyone tell you this is the turning forum and not the b/s forum?:eek::rolleyes::D

I can't wait to find out how you turned that!

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2007, 9:41 AM
Now that's ART! Couldn't stop looking at it! Love the way the hickory just flows! Looking forward to seeing how you turned this piece! Your Dad's wife will absolutely love this!!! Very nice work!

Brian Brown
12-21-2007, 9:42 AM
Oh! That's Cool!

Brian

Jeff Bower
12-21-2007, 9:56 AM
Raymond....I look forward to the tutorial!

Raymond, I too will be looking forward to the tutorial. I like this turning very much. Well Done!

Bob Hallowell
12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Raymond that's very unique, I like it alot!

Steve Mawson
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Very neat. I have the wood in mind so if you get the method posted I will have to give it a try.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Raymond that is beautiful. She is going to love it. Well done.

Frank Kobilsek
12-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Raymond,

I bet I have 30 cut-a-part design in my sketch book. Never executed any of them. Let me plant a seed for your next effort. Once you cut up the base turning the re-assemblage does not have to be concentric.

Do a few more of these. I suspect there are freindlier woods to work with in this style besides Hickory.

Frank

Raymond Overman
12-21-2007, 1:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm looking forward to the reaction from Susan, the recipient.

Raymond,

I bet I have 30 cut-a-part design in my sketch book. Never executed any of them. Let me plant a seed for your next effort. Once you cut up the base turning the re-assemblage does not have to be concentric.

Do a few more of these. I suspect there are freindlier woods to work with in this style besides Hickory.

Frank

Oh Frank, I've already got some things in mind for the next one and the one after that. In this one, I didn't want to stray to far from the idea of a vessel. The next one will be different. Again, thanks for the comments.

Dale Gregory
12-21-2007, 1:30 PM
Great job, but I'm afraid it's going to leak:D

Dale

Bill Wyko
12-21-2007, 2:19 PM
WOW raymond. Every time I think I'm running out of styles to see, something cool like this comes along. Nice job.:)

Paul Heely
12-21-2007, 2:55 PM
Great looking piece Raymond. Can't wait to see the tutorial on how you do this. Nice job!

Dan Forman
12-21-2007, 3:34 PM
A very interesting piece, cool wood too.

Dan

Skip Spaulding
12-21-2007, 4:07 PM
Love it! Kind of looks like feathers. Looking forward to tutorial.

Tom Sherman
12-22-2007, 3:03 PM
Very nice Ray, I like you like how the Hickory looks with the ripples. Make sure that Susan gets some of the credit for the inspiration as well as the original artist. After all you did want to create something special for her right. I like it a lot.
Ps. My stepmother was a special woman as well, she raised me like her own child. When ever I did something special for her you would have thought I got her the Crown Jewels, I still miss her.

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2007, 4:38 PM
Nice piece....very creative!!!! :cool: