PDA

View Full Version : laser cutting vinyl

Bill Morrison
12-21-2007, 9:05 AM
My sister wants me to make some lettering from vinyl or whatever it is with my laser. Is there some material that I can cut with the laser to make it for her. She knows where I live so I have to try something. I told her I could cut some 1/8" acrylic but she wants a sign "like the one next door." I know nothing of signmaking and the only thing I knew before joining SMC the only thing I knew about my laser was where the on switch was, after reading the manual.
Thanks
Bill

Joe Pelonio
12-21-2007, 9:33 AM
What's she going to do with the letters? You can use Rowmark Laserthins
which have adhesive back and cut nicely. The real sign vinyl contains PVC and therefore is not good for the laser though some people feel a small quantity once in a while is not a big deal. There are polyester films available but they are hard to find, not available in many colors. I'd suggest finding someone with a plotter in the area and have them cut the lettering for you, probably work out cheaper in the longrun considering time is money.

Nancy Laird
12-21-2007, 9:33 AM
Bill, Joe Pelonio makes a LOT of vinyl signs with his laser, so he will be THE one to help you with this dilemma. I'm sure he'll chime in here shortly!

Nancy

Brian Robison
12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Now that made me laugh!!!:D

Nancy Laird
12-21-2007, 2:10 PM
He got his answer posted before I did!!!!

Nancy

Larry Bratton
12-21-2007, 3:23 PM
What's she going to do with the letters? You can use Rowmark Laserthins
which have adhesive back and cut nicely. The real sign vinyl contains PVC and therefore is not good for the laser though some people feel a small quantity once in a while is not a big deal. There are polyester films available but they are hard to find, not available in many colors. I'd suggest finding someone with a plotter in the area and have them cut the lettering for you, probably work out cheaper in the longrun considering time is money.
Joe:
Is that Laser Thins or LaserLights? I looked on Rowmarks site for Laser Thins and didn't see it right off.

Joe Pelonio
12-21-2007, 3:45 PM
Sorry, it is LaserLights. LaserThins is the IPI version.

Larry Bratton
12-21-2007, 4:01 PM
Sorry, it is LaserLights. LaserThins is the IPI version.
OK..glad you told me about IPI. Somehow I just always think of Rowmark when I think of engraving plastics. I have used the LaserLights and it works very well. It's almost as thin as plotter vinyl.

Joe Pelonio
12-21-2007, 4:16 PM
I'd just be careful about using it in full sun in a nice weather area, because it's not going to hold up 7-8 years like vinyl. Here we only get sun for 2 months so it's not nearly as much of an issue.

Bill Morrison
12-21-2007, 5:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback from everyone. My two sisters opened a coffeeshop and the sign is for the window. I think the letters are about a foot high. My gal friend where I get my acrylic is making phone calls for me. I mentioned what I was looking for and as you said, it's hard to find. My alternative is to cut the letters out of some 1/8th" mirrored acrylic I have around here someplace.

Thanks
Bill

Joe Pelonio
12-21-2007, 5:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback from everyone. My two sisters opened a coffeeshop and the sign is for the window. I think the letters are about a foot high. My gal friend where I get my acrylic is making phone calls for me. I mentioned what I was looking for and as you said, it's hard to find. My alternative is to cut the letters out of some 1/8th" mirrored acrylic I have around here someplace.

Thanks
Bill
Bill,

Mirror letters make a very attractive sign. Buy or cut (saw, not laser) a piece of 1/4" or even 1/8" Black PVC, such as Sintra or Komatex for the background. It's sort of a matte finish. Then glue on the mirror acrylic letters. Actually you could use matte black acrylic, but most of those are just regular black with matte black vinyl on one side.

Use VHB foam tape or special mirror adhesive though, some adhesives are not compatible with the back of the mirror and will mess it up.

This is one I did with 1/4" mirror, the picture isn't very good though.