PDA

View Full Version : 3 ~ 5"d x 6' Staved Select grade pine column-xmass gift

Brian Weick
12-21-2007, 8:51 AM
My brother was redoing his basement and asked my opinion on what to do about the main beam post supports in his basement- so I came up with these stop fluted columns - I am going to cut them in half then wrap the 2 sections around the steel posts - glue/ratchet strap them and then install the capital blocks on top - was a lot of fun making these- I have never used select grade pine to make columns - usually hard woods for the most part-

Happy Holidays to all of you! :)
Brian

Jim Dunn
12-21-2007, 9:03 AM
Brian impressive turnings. How are you going to hollow them out? I like the look of the stopped flutes.

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2007, 9:09 AM
Nice work Brian and quite the setup! I am also curious as to how you are going to cut the columns in half - wouldn't a wide kerf pose a problem when gluing back together?

Tom Sherman
12-21-2007, 9:51 AM
A very nice gift Brian, you do some nice large work.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Wow Brian those are cool. That will really dress things up and to think you turned those on that mini lathe.:eek::D:rolleyes:;):cool:

John Cooper2
12-21-2007, 1:03 PM
Nice lathe

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Brian....You do things in a big way and do a great job too!

Jim Becker
12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Brian, they look wonderful! Nice work. So nice to have that big O to create stuff like this...

Brian impressive turnings. How are you going to hollow them out?

They are already hollow, Jim...staved construction like a barrel. This is kinda the normal technique for making columns like this because something solid would be unbearably heavy to handle.

I am also curious as to how you are going to cut the columns in half - wouldn't a wide kerf pose a problem when gluing back together?

I suspect that Brian will cut them on a band saw using a jig to hold them in the same plane through the cut. Very thin kerf and a few passes with a scraper, spokeshave and sandpaper will make it disappear in the scope of the scale. This is architectural turning and little things like a very minor variation in the profile don't get noticed as much.

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Makes sense - thanks Jim!

Skip Spaulding
12-22-2007, 8:28 AM
Lucky Brother! Wonderful work and great lathe.

Brian Weick
12-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Jim,
You were close on the split and write on with the construction- I have a jig that I will use to cut these on my table saw-using a thin kerf blade-makes a nice clean thin cut. I'll throw some pictures up of that process when I get to it.
Thank you for the compliments.
Brian:)

Brian Weick
08-04-2008, 8:19 PM
Yes their up~ still have to get pictures of them installed, will do ~ they came out so nice and what a difference in the remodeled basement.
Brian

mreza Salav
08-04-2008, 9:42 PM
Everything looks impressive, the tools and the things you made with them!
Thanks for sharing the photos.