PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Terms.

C Scott McDonald
12-21-2007, 12:40 AM
I was looking at some lumber from an online dealer and it said the heart wood is "crooked" what does that mean? Is it cupped or twisted?

Thanks,
Scott

Micah Carter
12-21-2007, 12:54 AM
http://www.bordenanderickson.com/defects.html

crook is a bend where the face grain stays flat and the edge grain becomes curved.

C Scott McDonald
12-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Cool, thanks!

After reading the link I think I will steer clear of crooked boards.

Thanks,
Scott

Lee Schierer
12-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Crooked is a relative term. If you are building an item that required long pieces, then crooked lumber could be problematic. However, if the longest piece you will need for your project is about 18" or less then crooked may not be an issue. Cutting a curved board into short pieces practially eliminates the curve once the board is trimmed up. If the price is good and the project will stand it you might get agood deal.

Jeff Booth
12-21-2007, 9:57 PM
I agree, crooked boards often have a place in a curved piece where the grain may then follow the piece thereby making it stronger and reducing waste. Cupped and bowed boards are more problematic and twisted boards are firewood.

Tom Sontag
12-23-2007, 12:10 AM
True quartersawn stock is prone to crook since heartwood and sapwood shrink different amounts. Sure, it's a defect, but when buying lumber in person, it need not be a deal killer if your project wants curves, or you only need short pieces, or the quartersawn figure is awesome enough to find a way to make it work.