PDA

View Full Version : Tool Till and saw vise

Don C Peterson
12-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey all, I thought I'd share my latest project (still underway).

Now that I have a decent collection of hand saws I need a place to store them. I also have a pretty good set of planes and chisels and the same thing goes for them...

After looking at other designs for saw and plane tills I decided to do something a bit different. I combined them into one tool till and put it on casters so I can have it close at hand or out of the way.

It isn't anything terribly pretty as I just used some scrap plywood and 2x4s. But it is an experimental project and I didn't want to spend much money. In a few years, if I still like it I might build another one out of nicer materials and incorporate the ensuing year's lessons learned. As you can see, there's some room for expansion.

Here's the saw till side:
77610 77615

and a closeup of the drawers. I couldn't resist using dovetails here, mostly for practice, but I am very happy with how they turned out. With my vastly improved sawing technique, I didn't have to do any paring after the saw cuts.:cool: These drawers hold my saw sets files and layout tools.

77611 77612

Here's the plane till side, I haven't yet figured out exactly how I want to do this one. So I'm still noodling on that problem. There's plenty of room for all my planes and for some that I haven't brought home yet... These drawers hold my sharpening stones.

The drawers underneath will hold all sorts of stuff and perhaps just as importantly, will provide a lower center of gravity.

Don C Peterson
12-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Inspired by Bob Smalser's post on a saw vise he recently built, I decided to build my own version, and again with Jr Strasil's advice made a couple of enhancements.

Once again I just used scrap 2x4's and other assorted pickings from the scrap pile...

77617 77618

It isn't pretty, but it works great. It was Jr's suggestion to cut a dado about an inch down from the top of the vise face and put a piece of rope in, this provides some additional lateral stability as I'm filing away.

I just clamp it in my bench vise and use a bar clamp on the other side. It works better than the iron saw vise I tried and I don't have to move even long saws side to side as I sharpen. It then stores nicely against the wall.

Roy Wall
12-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Don -

Nicely done......a smart way to go. The saws look ready to work!

Those DT's did come out perfect - way to go!!

jonathan snyder
12-21-2007, 2:37 AM
Don.

Very nice. One problem. I really don't think you saw till has enough room for expansion:D Putting it on casters is a great idea. Your DT's look great, never seen them done in baltic birch before!

Jonathan

Phillip Pattee
12-21-2007, 2:58 PM
Don,
Good ideas there. I expect I'll "borrow" some. I believe I was told once that you really couldn't make dovetails with plywood -- obviously you've busted that myth. I have lots of scrap pieces of plywood to practice on.

Don C Peterson
12-21-2007, 3:13 PM
Don,
Good ideas there. I expect I'll "borrow" some. I believe I was told once that you really couldn't make dovetails with plywood -- obviously you've busted that myth. I have lots of scrap pieces of plywood to practice on.

Fools rush in... and ignorance is bliss... Those were my guiding principles on this one.

I did hesitate a little bit, but in the end I figured that if it didn't work I wasn't out anything but a bit of time. The inside of the cut does tend to tear out a bit, but if you remember to have the outside facing you when you cut, then it's really not a problem because the tearout will be hidden inside the joint.

I will say that you need to be very careful in fitting the joints together because plywood will tend to flake off more than solid wood.

Other than those issues, I didn't find it to be difficult at all.

I was concerned that the DTs might be pretty weak (and only time will tell) but the large drawer on the bottom is dovetailed too and I put it under considerable stress with no ill affects.

Mike Weaver
12-21-2007, 3:54 PM
Nicely done!
That's a great idea for storage, AND for those of us that haven't totally decided on how the shop will be organized when "it's finished."

(HA!! Like THAT'll ever happen for me...:eek:)

Thanks for sharing.

-Mike