PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw gloat

Jason Hallowell
12-20-2007, 8:39 PM
I recently mentioned to a family member that I was looking at buying a nice bandsaw, and the next thing I knew I inherited a non-functioning bandsaw. It's not as nice and a lot more work than what I was looking at, but the price sure was right.

It's an antique Delta Rockwell 14" with a home-made riser system, and a home-made extra large table. The fence system is a piece of angle iron, and 2 C clamps that are firmly rusted in place.

I spent all afternoon cleaning it up and re-wiring it, and it actually runs now! It still needs plenty of work, and I need to get to the saw shop to have some custom length blades made (due to the riser), but I think it will serve me well.

Until now I have been using a handsaw, a planer, and a miter saw to get blanks from log form to mounted on the lathe. This process not only takes a lot of time, but it leaves it out of round enough that I have to chase my little lathe around for quite a while as well.

I know nobody around here believes anything without pics, so here they are-
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/desert1pocket/Bandsaw005.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/desert1pocket/Bandsaw002.jpg

M Toupin
12-20-2007, 9:02 PM
Nice piece of old arn! And free is even better! It looks to be complete except for the blade guard on the L/H side which even originally was only a slotted piece of wood. The belt guard is somewhat rare as they often get trashed or set aside and lost. It should serve you well with a little TLC.

Mike

Dan Forman
12-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Looks like a fine old machine you've got there. Have fun with the restoration.

Dan

Gene Michael
12-21-2007, 2:04 AM
Sometimes you can find vintage Delta BS parts on e-bay. Also found that some of the 14" BS parts from a current model Ridgid fit the delta and its clones. Congrats on the 'new' saw. It's nice to see someone restoring instead of tossing!

ANTONIO VALENZUELA
12-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Gene michael, band saw parts.
Dear mr. Michael,
i have a atlas band saw model # 912, i rebuilt it and i need
to find some parts, can you help me?, parts needed, saw table,
all the saw belt covers, & knobs that hold the covers, saw & motor belts cover,
appreciate your help,
merry cristmas.
Antonio valenzuela

Pete Jordan
12-25-2008, 1:15 PM
Looks like a strong piece of iron!

I think it will serve you for a long time.

Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2008, 6:28 PM
Congrats on the bandsaw. Now make it a proud piece of old iron.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2008, 8:32 PM
Jason - sometimes we end up with things we did not expect and think initially that they will be more trouble than they are worth - but - with a little time and effort on your part you can restore a tool that has a proven track record and end up with a bandsaw that not only will you be proud to own - but equally proud to show off! Congrats on your new bandsaw! Have fun bringing it back to life!

Jim Becker
12-25-2008, 8:34 PM
Old thread alert! 2007...

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2008, 8:36 PM
Thanks Jim - I hardly ever look at those date things!!!

So, Jason, how did the restore go with the bandsaw? LOL

Jim Kountz
12-26-2008, 1:16 AM
Good score Jason! I bet you will be amazed at what this saw is capable of when you get her tuned up and running right. These things cant be killed really and were made really well. You should get good service from it Im sure!!

Frank Guerin
12-26-2008, 5:45 PM
Looks just like mine. After putting new bearings in it and a new fence and tires and a larger motor I found somewhere it works great for a lot less than a new one. Half my stuff says Rockwell on it.

William Bachtel
12-26-2008, 6:51 PM
I have a 22 year old Rockwell and it is a great machine, I will never get rid of it. I use it everyday. I have a 20 inch new Delta and it is a piece of s_ _ _.

Wyatt Holm
12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
That bandsaw looks exactly like one I got. We bought it from a high school actioning off old wood class tools. The riser and larger table is a good idea, thanks.
Wyatt