PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a Kern?

Pete and Carmen Vaca
12-20-2007, 6:54 PM
Hoping to kick-of 2008 with a new laser.....

As I lurk and see demo's, competitive landscape etc.,, Kern is looking real good. Some of the plus's are larger bed size (52 x 100), and the ability to do steel, and stainless steel.

Any other Kern uers out there?

Pete

Garry McKinney
12-20-2007, 8:25 PM
I looked at a Kern before I got my first laser. It had a lot of nice things,
size was the nicest. But I didn't care for the clearences offered. And I was looking at a 100 watt plus. Since I was new to laser, I felt the $120,000.00 was a bit much for recovery time.

Luke Phillips
12-20-2007, 8:46 PM
Have you looked at Vytek? Also, several Kerns listed for sale at:
http://www.laserresale.com/

Sandra Force
12-21-2007, 1:22 PM
I operate 2 Kern Lasers 1 is a 100w 24"x48" split gantry. The other is a 150w 52"x100'with the gantry going adross the short side. If you buy a used Kern in the large size be sure to buy that type and not the one that the x axis is across the long direction, that is much slower and and has more problems. It was an earlier version, mine was built 12/04. There are good and bad things about the Kern.

The best is the quality of Service, the people who make and tech the Kerns are some of the most helpful that I have ever met. The machines are well made and hold up well. I do not like the lead screw and the bearing block system. The oil zerks are heard to get to on both of mine and they are a pain in the neck to lube. The grease zerks on the long axis of the large laser is not much easier. That is the part that I have the most problems with. The two machines run 50 weeks a year @ 40-60 hours a week and have very little problems. Jim Anderson and Brian have been of the best of help any time that I have needed it. The company stands behind their equipment and keeps up to date on things that may need changed even after the warranty is up. They sent me a resistor pack for my big laser 2 years after warranty was up because it would keep running better.

I would check with Kern to see if they have someone in your area that is operating one of their lasers that would be willing to let you visit.

Good luck and enjoy whatever laser you get. If you have other questions you can ask me here or pm me. I am going to be off line for 2 weeks over Christmas but will be back the 7th of January.