PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace Completed

Chris Dodge
12-20-2007, 5:28 PM
I haven't posted much lately because business has been going very well. But I decided to take some time off over Christmas so I have some time to catch up on some Sawmill Creek reading and make this post.

I finished the fireplace pictured below today and thought I would show it to you. It is made of Select Alder and stained with a Olympic Merlot stain. The customer wanted it darker than the merlot would go so I added merlot stain to the poly finish and sprayed on three coats. That way yhe color stayed on top of the wood instead of absorbing into the wood and muting it. I found, however, that adding stain to a gloss poly makes the poly look more of satiny. So I applied a forth coat of CLEAR poly to give it the glossy look.

The wires hanging from the panel above the mantle are for a big screen TV that the customer will install. Also, the hole at the middle top is for a clock that the customer bought. I cut a hole the size of the clock so that he can instert it. Unfortunately the clock was not available when I took the pictures this morning.

The customer was so pleased with the fireplace that they want me to rip out their livingroom fireplace and build them another. If you are interested, I have a few more pictures of the fireplace on my website.

77580 77581

Brian Kent
12-20-2007, 5:41 PM
Chris, that is one awesome job. The design and workmanship are beautiful and the color relationship with the wood and stone are great. I'll go check out the rest of the photos on your website now!

Alex Shanku
12-20-2007, 6:43 PM
Nice work, Chris!! I think it looks excellent.

scott spencer
12-20-2007, 7:46 PM
Wow Chris, that thing's awesome! Very, very, very impressive....and in case I wasn't clear....your mantel is really impressive! :)

Jim Becker
12-20-2007, 7:50 PM
Wow, Chris...that thing's awesome! (yea, same words as Scott!!! :D) Outstanding work!

Ralph Dobbertin
12-21-2007, 9:22 AM
Excellent work...makes us all jealous

Tyler Howell
12-21-2007, 9:38 AM
Ditto,
Very Nice.
TJH

Eric Wong
12-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Whoa.........nice...... those curves remind me of this girl I dated this one time in........ never mind.