PDA

View Full Version : Already slid down the slippery slope...

Randy Klein
12-20-2007, 2:51 PM
I've already slid down the slippery slope of the Neanderthal side, so it may be dangerous to post over in the vortex section, but I have a question.

With Christmas money and Woodcraft gift cards, I want to get a mini lathe to make things like chisel handles, pens, and of course the "I don't have to spend any money by using scrap wood but the recipient thinks its still neat" gifts (which may include small bowls and such).

So after reading many posts, it seems that the Jet 1220 gets the nod from many individuals. Is that still holding true?

Also, what are the basic set of turning tools needed to do the above and where should I get them? I already have a bench grinder.

TYLER WOOD
12-20-2007, 4:06 PM
Hey guys, WE'VE GOT A LIVE ONE HERE!!!!

I'd say go ahead on the mini lathe, you'll be fine until you see how much fun it is. Those neander tools, they'll collect dust. We are the true vortex! Neader is just a gravitational pull, we're a black hole!!!

OPh post again in a month after all your money is gone and turning is the only wood stuff you do any more. But don't say we didn't warn you!!

Steve Kubien
12-20-2007, 4:13 PM
Randy, I thought as you do a year or two ago. Chisel handles, pens, gifty stuff.... Not sure the last time I cut a dovetail, used a marking knife, smoothed a board etc. My handtools are very lonely, so much so that I recently liquidated a bunch of them. Sorry, but this vortex is strong and deep.

As for tools, look into the cheap set from Harbour Freight to get you going. Just like I wouldn't tell a newbie that their first handplane should be a Konrad Sauer infill smoother, I wouldn't spend a tonne on gourmet turning tools until you have been offically sucked in.

Have fun,
Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario

Bob Hallowell
12-20-2007, 4:39 PM
Ah, I'm with Steve same thing happened to me. My #4 bedrock won't even talked to me right now.
That being said the mini will serve you well and the hss Hf chisels will serve you well, get the purple handled ones if you can. $35-$50
then you should get a grinder if you don't have one and a wolverine jig to keep those chisels sharp!

let's face it once you buy your lathe your neander days will be limited.

Bob

Dan Forman
12-20-2007, 4:53 PM
The darker (purple/redish) Harbor Freight set will get you going, except there is no bowl gouge, so you will need one eventually. When you want to step up from there, Doug Thompson lathe tools are the way to go. You will need the HF tools to make the handles for Doug's.

As for lathes, some like the electronic variable speed feature of the smaller Jet, some the beef of the larger one. I'm sure you will hear lots of different opinions on that.

Dan

Randy Klein
12-20-2007, 5:00 PM
Neader is just a gravitational pull, we're a black hole!!!

But a black hole is only a gravitational pull as well :p a really really strong one.

Randy Klein
12-20-2007, 5:11 PM
So what defines a good turning tool? In the neander world, steel quality (ability to hold an edge), mass (reduce chatter), and how they fit your hand are key components. I imagine for turning, steel quality and mass are still important and fit can always be fettled, using the lathe.

For these HF tools, which attributes are they inferior in - steel quality, mass, or fit?

TYLER WOOD
12-20-2007, 5:48 PM
mass I would say. They are hss steel which most of the excellent tools are. Not sure if there is grading to hss or not. I have the set and have been using them for 8 months now. Nice set to start with and learn to sharpen with. plus they are cheap and can be ground into different tools later when you figure out what you want to have.

They are pretty light, thinner stock, and horribly sharpened out of the box. The handles are really short too. They need some work, but hey your a turner now, make new handles, and neanders always know how to sharpen.

Welcome, come in come in says the spider to the fly!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2007, 6:25 PM
The mini lathe will do fine. Like was said a set of HF tools will do fine and will help you develop your sharpening skills. Yep same as the rest. My table saw with the blade down makes a wonderful table to store wood, finish, tools, chucks, etc. It hasn't sawed wood for almost 1 1/2 yrs. now.

Randy Klein
12-21-2007, 8:23 PM
Is anyone running any sales on the Jet 1220 right now? I have a local woodcraft and their price is $330.

Also, I found this link (http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=648), which seems to be a 1220 with VS, but it's not due out til mid Feb. Thoughts?

And are these the HF tools (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35444)everyone talks about?

Scott Donley
12-21-2007, 9:46 PM
A bowl gouge,skew,parting tool,and roughing gouge. Those are needs, the rest will be wants. I forgot, a credit card. :DHave fun ;)

Chuck Hayes
12-21-2007, 9:54 PM
I thought the word was that JET would not make a VS version of the 1220, now I have to reconsider if I should buy the regular 1220 now or wait until we see the price on the VS.

Tim A. Mitchell
12-21-2007, 10:03 PM
I would consider the VS, depending on the price. That link you have is for $0.00, so that is a really good deal. If you are not going with the VS, look at the Rikon as well. Several here (inc. me) have one and like it. It is a bit cheaper too.

Jim Becker
12-21-2007, 10:27 PM
The 1220 is a very nice machine and if you can do a VS, even better.

Randy Klein
12-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I thought the word was that JET would not make a VS version of the 1220, now I have to reconsider if I should buy the regular 1220 now or wait until we see the price on the VS.

Same here. But to compound the problem, I thought I read that the 1220 is at an introductory price until 31 Dec. If that's true, does anyone know what it'll go up to? Maybe the VS will have an intro price too...

Randy Klein
12-21-2007, 10:31 PM
That link you have is for $0.00, so that is a really good deal.

Yeah, for fun I tried to checkout with it in my cart. No go. Darn computers are too smart...

Randy Klein
12-23-2007, 10:15 PM
So is there an equivalent honing process for turning tools, as there is for plane irons and chisels (like on waterstones or hard felt wheel)?

Or is the tool used right off the grinder?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Randy......I use a diamond hone on my skews and an indian slip stone on my gouges but most folks, I believe, use them right off the grinder.

Dean Thomas
12-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Those neander tools, they'll collect dust. We are the true vortex! Neader is just a gravitational pull, we're a black hole!!!
Tyler's pretty close, but my neander tools NEVER collect dust. I have them covered up by a 3" layer of CHIPS, no dust! And out of sight most of the time! :D

You're right, IMO about the 1220 and about gifts out of freewood and cheapwood. At least for a little while...

And there is indeed some wiggle room in what is designated as HSS. HF's tools are still HSS, but certainly not in the high end. Mass is a little light, too, and handles are often quite light and flimsy for people with ham hands. I just did another post on another thread that talks about why that set of HF tools is a good investment. Once you've been at this a little while, they will not be your main tools, but you'll still use them for all sorts of things including special shapes, playing with bevel angles, learning to sharpen, learning to use a jig to sharpen, etc. The HF tools have plenty of LENGTH on their tools. That's a REALLY good thing. Most of the cheapie HSS tools are not long enough to sharpen on most grinders--the ferrule keeps the steel from touching the wheels! HF's have nice long flutes and will be sharpenable for a good long while. Because the tools are less than $5 apiece, there's no guilt when you mess up and lose 1/2" to sharpening. When you use 1/2" of steel from a $100 tool, learning to sharpen it, you've killed maybe 10-15% of its useful life. If you grind the whole HF tool away, you've spent $5, not $15 or more. Sounds like a good deal to me. I have a set of the tools that I bought to use with my little kids when I was teaching some 10-year-olds how to turn. They did just fine with them. Again, no guilt. If they dropped the gouge or skew point first onto concrete, I could just smile and resharpen instead of having heart palpitations.

Charles Hannemann
12-26-2007, 6:08 PM
check this out: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,330&p=56745
the set of six or the set of nine

Charles:):cool::eek: