PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it is nuts....

Jack Hogoboom
12-20-2007, 12:20 PM
...to buy a big screen (50-60") TV from a reputable internet retailer (like Crutchfield's)? Given my recent rant about Best Buy, I am loathe to do any more business with them. However, I keep wondering how someone can ship something that big and that fragile such a long distance without destroying it.

Jack

Charles Wiggins
12-20-2007, 12:40 PM
...to buy a big screen (50-60") TV from a reputable internet retailer (like Crutchfield's)? Given my recent rant about Best Buy, I am loathe to do any more business with them. However, I keep wondering how someone can ship something that big and that fragile such a long distance without destroying it.

Jack

Well, they get shipped from the factory to the store, after all, they don't grow out of the floor right there. The only difference is that the store staff catch most of the damaged ones before the get to the customer. If it's a reputable store they should make good on any damage or problems that show up within a reasonable amount of time. If you have the $$$, go for it.

Gary Keedwell
12-20-2007, 12:52 PM

Jack
I had the same thoughts so if you are nuts...so am I.:eek: I opted to buy my 46" at my local Costcos. Glad I did because over a month after I purchased it ...they dropped the price by $200 so they credited my credit card. That felt real good!!!
Gary

Jim Becker
12-20-2007, 1:45 PM

No, OneCall, Crutchfield, etc., do offer very good service and attractive delivery options and are worthy of your consideration. But so does Buy.com and Amazon.com at lower product prices. I'm about to buy a 50" Sharp Aquos system once the addition moves along far enough and I've pretty much narrowed things down to those vendors. My current Sharp 30" LCD came from Buy.com and the delivery was handled with care at the time by a "white glove" type service at no extra charge.

Pat Germain
12-20-2007, 2:00 PM
Are you buying plasma or LCD? I have a 50" plasma. A plasma TV is much more delicate than a LCD TV. Best Buy didn't even want me to take my plasma home. They wanted to deliver it. They even offered to deliver it for free, but I've seen their delivery staff and I had more confidence in myself and my pickup. I got it home and installed just fine.

If you're ordering a LCD model, there's not much to worry about. They do it all the time. Like when ordering a power tool, just be sure to inspect it when it arrives.

John Shuk
12-20-2007, 5:00 PM
www.jr.com usually has the best prices I've seen.

Scott Pearson
12-20-2007, 5:15 PM
I have been planning a DLP purchase from Amazon. They offer what they call there 'White Glove' service to try and get people to feel better about it.

The claim that they will deliver on time and bring the set inside verify that it functions and dispose of the packing materials.

I do not know if it works but that is probably where I am going to get mine.

Scott

Ken Garlock
12-20-2007, 5:41 PM
Hi Jack. Before I took the online store route, I would check carefully for a local, non big box dealer. Many of the big dealers handle the middle-of-the-line TVs. For example Sony has the top of the line XBR units, and then at least one or two lessor TVs. When I bought my Sony XBR, it wasn't from Best Buy, even though they carry Sony; they were carrying the mid-line Sonys.

My own experience is that I have had a 24" Sony that lasted for at least 15 years(replaced by a 27" Toshiba,) and currently a 50" rear projection Sony XBR, it is also in the double digit age. It is starting to show its age, and I expect to replace it within a years time.

My personal choice is First Sony, Second Samsung, and Third Toshiba.

The Samsung DLP looks interesting in the less than $2500 price group.

Mark Engel
12-20-2007, 5:57 PM
We got a 53" from OneCall a few years back for my Daughter and son-in-law. It was delivered on a lift gate truck, unpacked and set up right where they wanted it in the living room. They told me it was excellent service.

I have also been a customer of Crutchfield for many, many years. I would never hesitate to buy anything from them. Their customer service is, IMO, the best in the business!

Tim Morton
12-20-2007, 7:13 PM
I bought a 56" Samsung DLP from amazon and got the "white glove" shipping. I had a problem with the set not related to shipping and in fact had trouble with 2 sets. Amazon was great and never once questioned my desire for a return. One thing to keep in mind about shipping...the TV's are ALL shipped at least 99% of the way to your home from over seas....so what makes that any different from having it shipped the next 1% of the way to your door? I say go for it...but FWIW crutchfield does NOT have the best price on TV's...check out amazon.

Tim Morton
12-20-2007, 7:17 PM
I have been planning a DLP purchase from Amazon. They offer what they call there 'White Glove' service to try and get people to feel better about it.

The claim that they will deliver on time and bring the set inside verify that it functions and dispose of the packing materials.

I do not know if it works but that is probably where I am going to get mine.

Scott

Depending on where you live i would NOT let the delivery guys turn on a dlp TV right out of the truck if you are in a cold climate. The DLP light engine will have condensation on it from the cold and should be allowed to come to room temp for 12 hours or so before turning on....this will prevent spots from developing on the mirror that will be visible while watching. It will not affect your warrantee to accept delivery and wait until the next day to turn it on.

Walt Nicholson
12-20-2007, 7:36 PM
Shipping to you without damage should not be a problem. Think of the history of that unit. Built in Japan, (most of them) loaded on a truck or train and driven to a port, loaded on a ship with thousands of other items, shipped across the sea, unloaded at some dock and loaded on a truck to go to a distribution point, shipped on another truck from the distribution point to the retail outlet who then ships it to you. If you buy local the guy brings it out to you in the back of his truck or van with the so called "white glove" treatment. It got to him the same way it will get to you, in the back of some Freightliner going 80 plus over the potholes. I have never had a problem with a TV being shipped across country and usually have saved some serious $$$. Just my 2 cents worth.:D

mark page
12-20-2007, 8:40 PM
Don't know about the other types, but a plasma tv CANNOT be shipped or allowed to lay on it's side. It will break the glass screen and/or damage the internal workings.

John Shuk
12-20-2007, 9:19 PM
Don't know about the other types, but a plasma tv CANNOT be shipped or allowed to lay on it's side. It will break the glass screen and/or damage the internal workings.

And yet they do not build them at your home. They DO get shipped.

Bruce Page
12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
I had some concerns also when I ordered my 46” Sony XBR LCD from TigerDirect.com a little over a year ago. My transaction with TigerDirect turned out to be painless, they had the best price around, (beat Crutchfield’s price by a few hundred dollars) and the set was delivered in pristine condition. I would do it again.

Greg Cole
12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
FWIW, I've recieved 3 different 42" plasmas via truck freight from internet purchases at the day job & all were 100% a-ok.

Greg

Doug Jones from Oregon
12-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Like the appliances I have purchased over the last 20 years, I'm going to my local TV merchant where I bought the last 5 TV's, VCR's, DVD machines and stereo equip. Something about being known by name and knowing many if not all of the folks that will be waiting on them and knowing that my money will be doing the local economy some good.

Perhaps I'm just backwards to most of the world. I use the internet for the comparison information on product I wish to purchase and then I buy local....it was nice when I wanted to buy a washer and dryer for my newly home owner daughter and all I had to do was pick up the phone, tell the salesman to set my daughter up with a good system and wait for the bill to arrive in the mail!

Doug

Pat Doble
12-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I bought my 56" JVC a couple years ago and had the same concerns - but between the better price, no sales tax and free shipping I saved about $800 over buying it local. Had no issues at all with any damage.

Greg Cole
12-21-2007, 8:40 AM
FWIW, truck freight is nothing to be afraid of IMO. It's the same method used to get the goods to stores from warehouses, from shipping ports to warehouses etc etc etc. It's more often mishandling in warehouses....

Greg