PDA

View Full Version : Local Rockler closing

Russ Massery
12-20-2007, 9:40 AM
Sad to see My local Rockler store is Closing. There Merging with the Berland's house of tools in New Lenox. There are few thing left at 40-50% off. But going fast. Always a received good service for this store. Always had what I needed in stock when I called on them. The store was the Tinley Park IL, Location @ Harlem And 159th. Sad to see them go.:(

Matt Meiser
12-20-2007, 9:44 AM
They did something similar down in Columbus and they added Rockler to Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI and to some other places. This seems to be their new business model--creating a woodworking superstore by partnering with a machinery/wood dealer.

Chuck Hayes
12-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Russ;

Tried to make it out their myself but could just never find the time. Hoped to find a mini-lathe and some accessories. The emails I got from them stated "Expanding in the Chicagoland area with new stores", seems strange they would have that on an email explaining they were closing down. Perhaps they will be opening one closer to us.

Chuck

Matt Meiser
12-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Just looked at their site--they are adding these Independent reseller locations pretty quick. I just discovered that one of our local tool stores, Electric Tool, has become one in Ann Arbor and Toledo.

http://www.rockler.com/retail/display_region.cfm?state=MI
http://www.rockler.com/retail/display_region.cfm?state=OH

I'd guess this is a good deal for the tool stores with housing construction being down so much it should help them get additional traffic in their stores.

Mick Zelaska
12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Glad I checked this thread out. I now find that Fries Beall and Sharp Co Inc in Lorton, Virginia has partnered with Rockler. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Let's see, Woodcraft in Springfield where I work and Fries Beall and Sharp on my way home from work everyday. Now if I could just find a good source for wood in the area!http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Mike Goetzke
12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Sad to see My local Rockler store is Closing. There Merging with the Berland's house of tools in New Lenox. There are few thing left at 40-50% off. But going fast. Always a received good service for this store. Always had what I needed in stock when I called on them. The store was the Tinley Park IL, Location @ Harlem And 159th. Sad to see them go.:(

I'm about 2 miles from this store. I'm sad and happy. A few of the sales people are great but the manager Kurt and clerk Augie were very rude. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Mike

glenn bradley
12-20-2007, 12:52 PM
They did something similar down in Columbus and they added Rockler to Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI and to some other places. This seems to be their new business model--creating a woodworking superstore by partnering with a machinery/wood dealer.

I've been watching this and was hoping they would resolve what I feel is a Rockler merchandising problem. Some of the stores due to classification can not or will not order certain items for you if they are not normally stocked.

I was hoping the partnering with larger outfits would alleviate this issue. Alas, it appears they have chosen the 'limited offering' approach which is less risk for the partner and that's fine. I was just hoping they would arrange for the partner to be able to supply a "rest of catalog" offering. :confused:

Aaron Beaver
12-20-2007, 1:00 PM

Did the same thing with a local tool store called Overland Tool. Was mostly for construction guys or woodworking shops but know they carry Rockler stuff.

Dave Sinkus
12-20-2007, 2:09 PM
Russ,
I loved that that store was so close. Now I have to go to Woodcraft about 20 miles away. Berlands is closest to me, but I did not know they where 'combining'

Merry Christmas

Mike Goetzke
12-20-2007, 3:01 PM
Russ,
I loved that that store was so close. Now I have to go to Woodcraft about 20 miles away. Berlands is closest to me, but I did not know they where 'combining'

Merry Christmas

From what I heard Rockler is only going to have one or two isles of merchandise in the new location.

Ben Martin
12-20-2007, 3:06 PM
I wonder if that means that the Berland's in Lombard will be getting a Rockler soon. Berland's is by far the best tool store I have ever been in. It is actually a joy to go shopping in a place where I can ask the clerk questions and receive intelligent responses. It is sad that having intelligent people working at stores has been come a thing of the past, Berland's at least breaks the mold on this. You pay for it, but it is better than getting a headache from the Borgs...

Jon Lanier
12-20-2007, 3:08 PM
Just looked at their site--they are adding these Independent reseller locations pretty quick. I just discovered that one of our local tool stores, Electric Tool, has become one in Ann Arbor and Toledo.

http://www.rockler.com/retail/display_region.cfm?state=MI
http://www.rockler.com/retail/display_region.cfm?state=OH

I'd guess this is a good deal for the tool stores with housing construction being down so much it should help them get additional traffic in their stores.

The Hardwood Store (http://www.thehardwoodstore.com/) in Enon, Ohio where my Scrollsaw Club meets deals with mostly all lumber, native and exotics. They are having a Rockler Store move into a section of their building. There is no Rockler near here and I'm glad to see some competition for the Woodcraft Store.

Matt Meiser
12-20-2007, 3:22 PM
BTW, I read elsewhere (and confirmed on Rockler's web site) that the Independent Reseller locations do not accept Rockler Gift Cards. The same person said these locations can't honor the sale prices from the ads Rocker sends out. I didn't confirm that, but have no reason to believe he's not telling the truth.

Michael Lutz
12-20-2007, 5:08 PM
An independent reseller near me called the Woodworkers Shop carries Rockler stuff, but not the full catalog. Rockler appears to be divesting itself of their company owned stores. A benefit would be that if we order from Rockler.com we would not be charged for state sales tax.

Mike

glenn bradley
12-20-2007, 5:27 PM
BTW, I read elsewhere (and confirmed on Rockler's web site) that the Independent Reseller locations do not accept Rockler Gift Cards. The same person said these locations can't honor the sale prices from the ads Rocker sends out. I didn't confirm that, but have no reason to believe he's not telling the truth.

I believe Rockler really missed an opportunity to better serve their customers with all the restrictions. Presence is great but limited availability presence seems like a negative. IMHO.

Mark Ebert
12-20-2007, 6:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear that the Rockler off 159th is closing. I used to take a drive over there almost every Saturday to buy a few things (small hardware and finishes mostly), but I haven't been there since this past August due to the cost of gas and traffic. At least the Berlands just outside of Joliet will start carrying Rockler stuff, which is good for me because it is quite a bit closer.

Dave Lehnert
12-20-2007, 9:50 PM
I believe Rockler really missed an opportunity to better serve their customers with all the restrictions. Presence is great but limited availability presence seems like a negative. IMHO.

Looks like Rockler is expanding into the wholesale market. This should not be confused with a Rockler store. Independents chose what they will or will not stock in their store. Just as Lowe's would stock some DeWalt brand tools but not all.

We have a new woodworking store opening here in Cincinnati. www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com (http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com) I understand they will stock Rockler items. Wonder if they will close the Cincinnati Rockler?

Jeff Baxa
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I had only visited the store a couple of times, same with Berlands. I am from New Lenox, so I'll definitely be checking this out. And with the 355 extension, Woodcraft in Downer's Grove is a quick trip too.

Kevin Cantillon
12-24-2007, 3:12 AM
I just stopped in the Tinley Park Rockler today. I did not know about the store closing until I saw the signs in the window. The store was pretty much wiped out - everything was 40% off (Lumber 50%). I was just in the store in Nov and it was well stocked then - what a difference.

They told me that Rockler will have some space in Berlands stores. I like Berlands but they have very limited hours on the weekend - close early on Sat and not open on Sun. I liked the convenience of the Rockler store.

BTW I live about 100 miles from this store but my parents live less then 2 miles from it - I would always stop in the store if I was visiting them.

Kevin