PDA

View Full Version : Glue for Corian? and thanks to Berea

Bill Turpin
02-22-2004, 3:03 PM
What is the best glue for laminating Corian for pen blanks? I want to be ready to go whenever RWB Corian gets here.

Carolina Mountain Woodturners sold 150 kits to its members (23 turners signed up) at yesterday's meeting for FPP. Another 150 kits are on back order. Thanks to Berea Hardwoods for SEVERELY discounting these kits.Thanks

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Julie Wright
02-22-2004, 5:49 PM
Bill,
You want to get thick CA glue and clamp it tight. Let it sit over night. Just cuz... Havn't had a prob with laminations coming apart. This info was passed on to me my the great and powerful OZ.....

Its great that your club is so involved with turning the FPP's

Ken Salisbury
02-23-2004, 2:39 AM
What is the best glue for laminating Corian for pen blanks? I want to be ready to go whenever RWB Corian gets here.

Carolina Mountain Woodturners sold 150 kits to its members (23 turners signed up) at yesterday's meeting for FPP. Another 150 kits are on back order. Thanks to Berea Hardwoods for SEVERELY discounting these kits.Thanks

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Rough up surfaces with 120 grit paper, apply gel CA glue - clamp over night like Julie said.

Jim Schmoll
02-25-2004, 10:20 PM
I just have to ask this question. I have made somewhare in the area of 1500 pens out of all most anything. I sand the tubes like you do, then glue with med CA glue and give it a quick shot of axcelerater. For the life of me don't know how you clamp tubes to the pen blank?? :confused:

Jim from Idyllwild CA

Ted Calver
02-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Jim,
I think we are talking about how to glue and clamp the 1/2" pieces of corian together to create a pen blank here rather than glueing and clamping tubes to the blank.

Jim Schmoll
02-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Got ya now. Must have been too much glue in the nose.

Jim from Idyllwild CA :rolleyes:

Larry Gottlieb
02-26-2004, 4:16 PM
Hi:
I have used polyurethane glue to laminate corian, glue corian to wood blanks, and glue blanks to tubes.

For all of these I use a light spray of water, apply glue, and for first two clamp and let sit overnight. The method that I use combines laminating and gluing to tubes at the same time.

It works.

Regards

Larry