PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm probably out of line...

Michael Gibbons
12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
...but could we get a few more folks to donate? I know times are tough with gas at $3.00/ gal or more and industries are folding up but the "Creek" is a very valuable resource and a great meeting place to many here. Moderators: If this is a touchy subject, please delete. ....Mike

Chuck Saunders
12-20-2007, 8:32 AM
Mike, the people that will donate will donate, and the people who won't - won't. You either get the warm fuzzy from supporting that which you believe in, or you don't. The community comes from looking beyond those differences. I would like everyone to be a contributor, but I want everyone to be welcome either way.

Chris Padilla
12-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Add a little line to your signature to help advertise this...I just added one to mine the other day when I saw another SMCer doing it.

Gary Keedwell
12-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Mike, the people that will donate will donate, and the people who won't - won't. You either get the warm fuzzy from supporting that which you believe in, or you don't. The community comes from looking beyond those differences. I would like everyone to be a contributor, but I want everyone to be welcome either way.
Very good point. This is the most aggresive campaign I have seen here at the Creek. I have seen people give "shots" to people who have close to 3,000 posts and they still do not respond.

Gary

Glenn Clabo
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Good idea Chris...

Rob Bodenschatz
12-20-2007, 1:10 PM
With the new model, donations are obsolete.

If one wants the enhanced features of the creek, pay the fee. If not, don't. Simple as that.

Tom Veatch
12-20-2007, 5:09 PM
With the new model, donations are obsolete.

If one wants the enhanced features of the creek, pay the fee. If not, don't. Simple as that.

I agree.

Seems to me the "contributors" only features are well worth $0.02 per day, a can of pop per month, or a fast food meal per year.

Tim Morton
12-20-2007, 6:53 PM
I have not anted up yet cuz its still 2007:D

But for the record i have given enough money to cover at least the next 10 years of dues...plus i have given something to most everyone who has been "in need". But I personally HATE that stupid "contributor" moniker....FWIW>

That said I am 150% in favor of the upcoming system....and the only thing to improve it would be in doign away completely with the contributor tag. That would put us all on the same page IMO.:cool:

Ron Dunn
12-20-2007, 7:52 PM
I clicked the "Donate" button, but all you get is an empty box to enter an amount. Where is the description of how much you are supposed to pay, and what happens in return?

Gary Garmar
12-20-2007, 8:01 PM
I probably will become a contributor in 2008,but I still haven't gotten over the "Mr. Bill" situation yet.

Bryan Berguson
12-20-2007, 10:15 PM
I clicked the "Donate" button, but all you get is an empty box to enter an amount. Where is the description of how much you are supposed to pay, and what happens in return?

Ron,

The "standard" dontation is $6.00 but you can give more if you'd like. Some of the benefits include the ability to sell items in the Classifieds, no advertisements, inclusion in the Free Stuff Drawings and knowing you are supporting a great woodworking forum. I may have missed some things but these are what stick out to me. Much better information here than any wood mag too!

Bryan

Ron Dunn
12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
This payment process seems really clunky. There's no opportunity to enter a reference, for example, that ties the payment to my user-id.

Here's my Paypal receipt number:

70290767F99289727

Does this have to be forwarded to anyone?

Michael Gibbons
12-21-2007, 5:45 AM
I beleive that the Paypal account tells Keith who it's from hence the "Real Name" requirement when opening an user account on the Creek'. My donation was credited to my account within 24 hrs.

Ron Dunn
12-21-2007, 6:02 AM
Thanks, Michael ... and good idea to create the thread :)

Kyle Kraft
12-21-2007, 8:54 AM
I feel your pain, Gary. This is the first year since becoming a member that I have been blessed with enough OT to afford to contribute. I realize that six bucks is less than a trip to BK, but it's hard to write a check for a donation when you have higher priority obligations...even if it's a small amount.

Thank you to all the folks who in the past have donated more than your fair share to allow my presence here.

Brian Elfert
12-21-2007, 1:50 PM
My two cents is I'm a little sick of all the moaning and groaning about lack of contributions. Every other forum I'm on may have a donation button, but it is rarely ever mentioned. I do admit they all have at least some advertising and sponsors.

I did donate last year, but I may not this year just because of the hard sell.

Al Willits
12-21-2007, 2:00 PM
"""""""""
"""""""
With less than 10% kicking in, not much of a hard sell I'd think.

Al

Gary Keedwell
12-21-2007, 2:19 PM
My two cents is I'm a little sick of all the moaning and groaning about lack of contributions. Every other forum I'm on may have a donation button, but it is rarely ever mentioned. I do admit they all have at least some advertising and sponsors.

You can always do what I do when I'm sick and tired of it. PM me and I'll tell you what I would do.:rolleyes:;)
Gary

Chris Padilla
12-21-2007, 2:37 PM
It seems the point is moot now to contribute as mentioned earlier in this thread. Changes are taking place and SMC is moving towards ad-based support.

If, indeed, this is true, perhaps we should do away with the little monikers below our name?

John Shuk
12-21-2007, 3:18 PM
Hard sell? Or maybe some folks who took on a task that has become huge asking for some help with it.
Guess it depends how you look at things.
Me, I always felt a little funny before they started to ask for contributions. I didn't like feeling that I wasn't somehow helping.

Jim Becker
12-21-2007, 3:51 PM
It seems the point is moot now to contribute as mentioned earlier in this thread. Changes are taking place and SMC is moving towards ad-based support.

If, indeed, this is true, perhaps we should do away with the little monikers below our name?

Only partially true, Chris. Ad-based only for those who choose not to contribute. Contributors, however, will not see the ads and will have access to a growing set of new features as well as posting in the free classifieds. At the moment, those little monikers are used to target access privileges and while they might be hidden by our programmer, they would still need to exist. Hiding them would also make it more difficult for moderators when it comes to troubleshooting access...we'd have to use another tool just to see how a member is set up. The only time I go there is to "fix" a signature that contains things that shouldn't be there...and it doesn't have the friendly face that the forums do.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-21-2007, 3:56 PM
I donated today. This morning actually. Lets see how long it takes to register it.

Chris Padilla
12-21-2007, 4:43 PM
Only partially true, Chris....

Ah, "I see!" said the blind engineer. :) Thanks for the clarification.

Bruce Page
12-21-2007, 4:49 PM
I donated today. This morning actually. Lets see how long it takes to register it.

That's great Cliff, thanks!

Now we gotta start working on ya to put an avatar up! :D

Matt Meiser
12-21-2007, 4:50 PM
Ah, "I see!" said the blind engineer. :) Thanks for the clarification.

Heres some further explanation:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/announcement.php?f=10&a=14
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70674

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-21-2007, 6:15 PM
Sorry I didn't earlier, but the hospital stay, interfeared with my duties. Decided to buy a shirt this year; ordered it yesterday, should get my 2008, soon.

Bruce

OOPS.................Already there.

Just immagine what would possible, if all members found a way to donate just $6.00-------------- Awesome! How about it folks. I KNOW you've gotten a LOT more value from here than that! ($6.00 = less than .01 per day)

skip coyne
12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
just checking to see if mine registered

I see it didn't and I donated on the 12th

Tim Morton
12-22-2007, 6:45 AM

I donated late last night...and it showed up this morning.

Rick Gifford
12-22-2007, 6:58 AM
I just hope with all the discussions about donating we dont make folks feel unwelcome with the pressure.

I hope everyone can chip in, many cant or wont.

The admins have done a great job seperating features available for those that do and dont.

As with any community its all about the people.

That said I know this is very time consuming and gets costly. I greatly appreciate what is done from our admins. Seriously. Thank you!

Rich Engelhardt
12-22-2007, 7:25 AM
Hello,

LOL!
Wife left her CC sitting on the desk,,,

Bwahahaha hahaha hahaha :D

Soon my name will have 2008 after it.....:D

Jim Becker
12-22-2007, 10:44 AM

PM Jackie to have her check things out. And be sure to tell her how you donated and what name/email address would have been on it. Most of the recognition problems stem from PayPal information being impossible to tie to the real name here at SMC. Folks use their business accounts, girlfriend's accounts, dog's accounts, etc...you get the picture...and that makes it hard for the admins to give the recognition. A note in the comments on the PayPal transaction will help with that. If you sent a check, see if it was cashed by checking with you bank...easily done online. If not, it may be lost in the mail.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Rick Gifford
12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Hello,

LOL!

Ha ha! Now thats funny :D Wish my wife would leaver her CC laying, she might find a new power tool being delivered...;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-22-2007, 2:22 PM
That's great Cliff, thanks!

Now we gotta start working on ya to put an avatar up! :D

I dunno how. Had the same problem with donating.

When I first got here I took a gander at the donation methods. I didn't use pay pal as it is against my religion and I just never got the time to send a check.
The other day I looked again and LO and Behold they took AMEX so I did it.

Jackie Outten
12-22-2007, 2:47 PM
Skip,

You had donated through your business and we were having a hard time tying it back to you. I have updated your account. Thanks for the donation.

Jackie

chris fox
12-22-2007, 3:08 PM
Hi Jackie,

I just donated via Paypal and noticed after reading this thread its being hard to trace back.
PM me if you need or want more info. regarding my donation

Chris

Jackie Outten
12-22-2007, 5:38 PM
Chris,

I was able to trace back your donation. Thanks.

Jackie

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2007, 6:32 PM
Hello,
LOL!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!! That's too funny!!!!!! :D

My problem is....all the money comes out of one checking account. :eek: