PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pyrex Dishes????

Stephen Beckham
12-19-2007, 10:33 PM
They engrave great, but I was thinking today - due to the heat disp. of this type glass, will micro fractures cause a dish/plate to shatter in the oven?!?!? :eek:

Anybody?!??! :confused:

I have several out there where people are tired of having to identify or find their dishes after wedding parties, funeral dinners or pot lucks... Definately know you'll get yours back with your name etched in the bottom...

Steve Chalmers
12-19-2007, 11:22 PM
While I'm new to this list, I have been doing Pyrex dishes for quite sometime now. And I have yet to have any of my customers tell me their dishes broke in the oven, so I'm a guessin' that everything is working out just fine.

There is a wealth of information on this site, thanks to all for sharing it.

Steve

James Jaragosky
12-19-2007, 11:31 PM
How much you charge for engraving a dish?
seems like it wouldn't take much for simple text.
and there is a lot of that stuff at my church on pot luck day.
I could do my wifes stuff and hope it catches on.:)

Steve Chalmers
12-19-2007, 11:59 PM
I just finished 6 sets for some folks that are giving them away for Christmas presents. . .the cost was $5.00 for each bowl lasered. Text was in Brush Script, 36 pt. with a scott towel over the bowl that was wet with Windex.

Steve

Stephen Beckham
12-20-2007, 9:51 AM
Steve,

Same on price and function here. The only difference is that I use plain brown rolled papertowel. They don't usually have any quilting or patterns that regular papertowels do. They can leave patterns in the etching where there are solid black colors...

They also seem to hold the water longer before drying out and flipping up over the image - ruined a few that way....

<<< Hijack >>>

Want a good seller for the same crowd? Order some flat glass ornaments from someone like Crystal by Design and etch photos right on the glass. I scan them at 200 DPI and etch them at 400 DPI... I've sold over 400 since Thanksgiving. Make sure to label each box with a phone number or website. Give a few away as gifts the first year. The reciepients will come back next year as buyers. The first year I did about 24 to 25. Last year just over 100. And this (third) year - I stopped counting at 400.... I'm already scared about next year!!!!

James Jaragosky
12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
please excuse my ignorance. ( I am new at this) but could please explain the purpose of the paper towels, I have tried wet-ones when cutting wood that flames up but glass shouldn't flame up and Pyrex should handle the heat just fine, so I am confused:confused: and do you do the inside of the bowl (I would think That if you did a reverse etching, you could get a nice logo on your jello :eek:) or do you do the bottom. and if you do the bottom, how deep of a dish can you do?
my max depth is a mare 4":o so i would be very limited on what i could process.

thanks for the ideas guys

Steve Chalmers
12-20-2007, 5:09 PM
The paper towel or brown paper is wet to keep the glass cool while engraving. While not a problem on Pyrex, you can get chips out of your engraving in regular glass if it gets to hot. It also seems to smooth out the engraving.

I've also found that Windex seems to give the glass a slightly better frosted appearance. Probably just what is left of my imagination, but I do it anyway.

Steve

James Jaragosky
12-20-2007, 6:28 PM
Thanks for explaining.:)

AL Ursich
12-20-2007, 11:09 PM
James,

Can you post some pictures of the ornaments please or send me some via email. digitalwoodshop@aol.com

Thanks !!!!

New to a bunch of this and looking for interesting ideas like this as the bills are killing me.... Still learning but slow....

My friend Lisa did some Pyrex and they looked GREAT. I am behind the power curve with the laser, focused more on V Carving this fall.

Learned something this fall.... Quilt Racks won't pay the bills.... The follow on Wine Racks have shown promise.

AL

Frank Tralongo
12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Steve
Clever idea with the ornament etching do you have any photos you could upload?

Thanks

James Jaragosky
12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
James,

Can you post some pictures of the ornaments please or send me some via email. digitalwoodshop@aol.com

Thanks !!!!

New to a bunch of this and looking for interesting ideas like this as the bills are killing me.... Still learning but slow....

My friend Lisa did some Pyrex and they looked GREAT. I am behind the power curve with the laser, focused more on V Carving this fall.

Learned something this fall.... Quilt Racks won't pay the bills.... The follow on Wine Racks have shown promise.

AL
steve could be so kind as to field this?

Vicky Orsini
12-21-2007, 9:32 AM
Wet paper towels never worked for me. They dry up and blow away while lasering. I find that a layer of dishwashing liquid works well, though.

Stephen Beckham
12-21-2007, 9:55 AM
Sorry for the quality of the picture - this is a copy of the PDF ad that went out (I cut out all retail info per TOS).

I'll see if I can pull some more up from somewhere on the laptop today...

Okay - here's two I just took of two of the goof's...

Steve

Bob Perdue
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Just wondering what kind of price do you charge for the ornaments with the pictures?

AL Ursich
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the pictures. I have the Laser, Photo Grav (Still in the box) and the desire.....

Thanks,

AL

Stephen Beckham
12-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Bob,

If you go back through all the pricing threads that I've been in, at some point or another, I'm told I do not charge enough. With that being said, I charge $10.

So - how does it break down? The ornaments when bought in bulk run me about $2 with shipping.

I spend anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes on a picture. Average is probably closer to 7-10 minutes. It sucks to get one that takes a long time, but I don't charge more. That might be changing next year.

What I fear is being similar to a car repair shop that states $65 per hour labor... 'how long will it take?' Well the book says 1.5 hours for this repair, but it could be longer for your car.... I'm trying to figure a flat rate charge.
They usually take 3-4 minutes on the laser.

Or:

$2 Glass
$4 Laser time
$4 Labor

When I can get in the grove I can make about 10 an hour - I figure I usually do about four to five an hour sustained - or about $20 per hour for me.

Steve

Anthony Scira
12-21-2007, 6:46 PM
Sounds a little on the low side. But still not a bad take with 400 orders.

Next year you will have to increase the price to decrease the orders ! And that is a great position to be in.

Oh yeah and nice work by the way :)