PDA

View Full Version : My new, not that old arn-1986 Robland combo machine (pics)-long winded

Ben Grunow
12-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Got this sucker for $500 (was supposed to be free but guilt took over). Made in 1986 it is a TS (with small slider), 10" Jointer and Planer, and it appears to have a shaper head though I have no knives or even a head as far as I know. Each function has its own motor (3) and it requires 20a/220v. Oddly it has a 7 position switch that only works in 3(?). The main reason I was interested in this was the price and the fact that it has a decent (I think although there is next to no info out there on this thing) planer and wider jointer than my PM 56. I was also excited to have a small slider for panels and wider items in lieu of a sled for my Saw Stop. The shaper was a suprise to me as I bought it on a say so from a friend.
I have seen a pic of one of these with mortiser but no luck for me I guess.

Started each function (hid behind plywood shield and pushed buttons with a 3' stick) and they turn smoothly!

The J/P knives have never been set above the table so they have never been used. After loosening the gib screws (right term?) on the first of 3 knives the knife sprung up about 3/16". I assume the way to set these knives is to set them flush to the outfeed table. As usual- then go through the ritual of lowering the outfeed table and adjusting the knives across the width of the outfeed table so they move a small jointed board about 1/8" to 1/4" when rotated (all the way across the blade if possible). Any better ideas or simple jigs to make this easier? I was planning to clamp 2 metal straight edges to the outfeed to flush the knives up to and go from there.

Also- the planer has a power feed wheel on either side of the knives. One is almost splined looking (sharp metal ridges for gripping board) and the other looks more like sand paper. Seems to me that the rougher, splined looking one would be on the infeed side... right?

The feed mechanism is run on an idler pully with a hand operated lever so feed rate is adjustable on the fly. I have not tried this thing but it seems to work that way. I will set the knives and then attempt a planing.

Check out the rusty beast. Got a lot to do. Clean. Make slider table and align. Set knives. DC? Maybe but probably miserable. Thanks for looking.

Ben

Ben Grunow
12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
more pics

Ben Grunow
12-19-2007, 10:07 PM
one more

thanks

Chris Zenda
12-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Congratulations , Looks like you have a gem in the rough. Make sure to post plenty of pics as you go through your restoration,

Good luck.

Jim Becker
12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
I think with a little elbow grease, that will be a wonderful addition to your shop.

Start with setting your knives level with the outfeed table and see how it flies. Adjust the outfeed accordingly. Since you have springs, just clamp something to the outfeed table so that you can let the knives raise up to contact it with them at their highest location and tighten down the gibs.

keith ouellette
12-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I had a robland x 31 but mine had a lot of problems. If I remember correctly the extra positions on the switch are all off positions. There were springs under the knives so they would self adjust. It came with a tool that fit over the knives (one at a time) and the springs would push them up to the setting tool then you would tighten them down. That way all the knives would be at the same height and then you would set the table to the knives. It was quick and simple. Yours is quite a bit older but I bet they are pretty much the same except now they are 12" jointer/planer and there is a mortiser.

Jamie Buxton
12-20-2007, 12:36 AM
There is a Robland x-31 user group on Yahoo Groups. Folks there might be able to help with this find.

Ben Grunow
12-20-2007, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the replies and yes a "little" elbow grease will be required to get it to the point where wood can be worked without being rusty or greasy. Thanks for confirming my jointer blade setup plans. It is hard to imagine that no wood had ever been passed over them in 21 years.

Keep you posted.

Ben