PDA

View Full Version : A tip for folding sandpaper sheets if you are handsanding and not using a block

Wolf Kiessling
02-22-2004, 2:34 PM
Many of you probably already know what I am about to describe, but for those of you don’t, this little tip might save you a little money out of your sandpaper budget. Many folks, when they use a 9x11 inch sheet of sandpaper, fold the sheet half and then fold it in half again. This results in two of the quadrants of the sheet being exposed and used while the other two quadrants are within the folds and the grit sides of both of these quadrants are facing each other. As the paper is used, the two hidden quadrants are rubbing against each other and are actually being worn out , due to the friction created by movement of the paper, while the two outside quadrants are being worn against the work surface.

Following is a description of how the sandpaper can be folded so that the two outside quadrants are used while the grit sides of the two hidden quadrants are facing only the back of the sheet and thus not being worn out. Check the attached diagram.

I normally don’t use a whole sheet at a time but cut it into four separate pieces. The same procedure, however, would also apply if you use the sheet in its entirety.

1. Fold the sheet into four quadrants and cut into four separate pieces
2. Take one of the resulting 4 3/8" x 5.5" sheets and fold it into four quadrants, A, B, C and D
3. Cut or tear along line a - b between quadrants B and D
4. Fold D over C
5. Fold A over D
6. Fold B over C
7. The first quadrants to be used will be A and B
8. When these are worn out, open up the sheet and fold B over A, then fold B over C and finally fold D over A.
9. Now quadrants C and D are ready for use

I have been using this method for a long time and it has really extended the life of my sandpaper. If you don't care, well.......

John Miliunas
02-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Wolf, been using the same method myself for many years! You're absolutley right...It really seems to extend the life of the sandpaper you're using. It's also nice to have a firm edge all the time for getting into the corners. If anyone else hasn't tried this, do so. You'll love it. :cool:

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Cool idea but "hand" sanding??? What's that?? ;)

John Miliunas
02-24-2004, 11:50 AM

Oh come now! You mean to tell me you've never grabbed a 1/4 sheet of 80 to do a little seal sanding between lacquer coats? :D

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 11:54 AM
That's what the Festool ROS is for??? :D

Wolf Kiessling
02-24-2004, 11:59 AM

I don't know about you flat workers, Chris :D Us wood carvers do an unbelievable amount of hand sanding. Wish there was some way to avoid it :p :p :p