View Full Version : Bosch 5412L SCMS---I'm about to hit somebody!!!!!

Jameel Abraham
12-19-2007, 7:10 PM
I picked up one these when the Amazon deal was going. It replaced a Bosch 3915.

First off, the saw will not cut 90 deg to the table. I've used two different blades (the one the came with it, and the free Freud thin kerf that came with it for free) to re-set the 0 deg bevel stop, and went through the process AT LEAST 8 times!! Everytime the saw would cut as it were bevelled to the left slightly. I did this three or four times, then re-read the instructions and repeated at least 4 more times with same result! So out of curiosity, I purposely set the bevel stop so the blade was tilting to the right at the 0 degree setting and locked her in. The blade was about 1/16" out over the 3" length of my Lee Valley Double square. Obviously a huge amount out of perpendicular. So get this, the blade STILL cut as if it were tilted left!! I'm totally stumped.

A couple observations too about the 12" saw. This is my first 12" saw. I usually use a 10". The 12" is way more prone to flex and wobble, and in general is not as accurate as my 10". I don't like it. And the Freud 10" Ulitimate Cutoff Thin Kerf is a mistake on this saw. The thinner blade just makes things worse. I can't get a smooth crosscut or miter with either blade. The edge is wavy. Even cutting through first, then shaving off half the blade width gives the same results. I'm hoping I can return this saw and pick up the 10", which I'm hoping is a better machine.

Gary Herrmann
12-19-2007, 7:48 PM
Jameel, I wonder if you got a bad one. I've got the exact same saw and it was dead on 90 and 45 out of the box. Try contacting their tech support so they can walk you through the set up process.

Matt Lentzner
12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I have the same saw and it cuts beautifully. I was very good even with the factory blade on it. With a chopmaster it is like butter - it looks sanded with no saw marks at all.

My saw needed to be adjusted because the bevel was a bit off. And this needs to be checked periodically. That is my only complaint. Once adjusted it is accurate cut to cut.

I think you got a lemon. Maybe the arbor is out of alignment?

Matt

glenn bradley
12-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Definitly sounds like a damaged saw . . . exchange it.

Gregory Lyons
12-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd say damaged also, or poor QA/QC. I purchased a CMS a few years ago that cut square at 90d, but if you tilted the blade for a bevel cut, it was a deg or two off from square. It turned out to be a flaw in the pivot casting. I returned it and have had no further problems.

~g