PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Neal McCormick
12-19-2007, 4:53 PM
Hi - I lurk on the power tools side - this is the first time I have ever visited this forum. I want to make a flag case for my father who was a SeaBee during WWII. They have an emblem ( a flying bee with a gun, tools, etc) you may have seen. I have a cloth patch of that emblem. My question is what do you need in order to engrave that emblem onto a piece of wood? Can it be resized during the process? I assume you need some sort of digital image - is there a standard way to get a digital copy made? Thanks for your help.

James Jaragosky
12-19-2007, 5:14 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

looks like their is a lot Of Seabee art on the net. The optimal file would be a vector rendering of the logo. Here is a clipart i found on the gov. web site.
Looks like the one I had on my arm in the 80’s.
Jim J.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/gallery2/d/2889-5/Sea+Bee.jpg (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/gallery2/v/useful_images/military/Sea+Bee.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1)

Larry Bratton
12-19-2007, 5:46 PM
Hi - I lurk on the power tools side - this is the first time I have ever visited this forum. I want to make a flag case for my father who was a SeaBee during WWII. They have an emblem ( a flying bee with a gun, tools, etc) you may have seen. I have a cloth patch of that emblem. My question is what do you need in order to engrave that emblem onto a piece of wood? Can it be resized during the process? I assume you need some sort of digital image - is there a standard way to get a digital copy made? Thanks for your help.
Neal:
To answer your question, the image James has found for you as shown will engrave just fine. If it can be acquired in vector format, all the better. It would probably need to be resized to meet your needs. Wood is a very engravable material up to a point. Some woods don't laser engrave as well as others. Red Alder happens to be my favorite, but others such as birch do well. Lighter colored woods give the best contrast also.

Ed Newbold
12-20-2007, 8:08 AM
Hi - I lurk on the power tools side - this is the first time I have ever visited this forum. I want to make a flag case for my father who was a SeaBee during WWII. They have an emblem ( a flying bee with a gun, tools, etc) you may have seen. I have a cloth patch of that emblem. My question is what do you need in order to engrave that emblem onto a piece of wood? Can it be resized during the process? I assume you need some sort of digital image - is there a standard way to get a digital copy made? Thanks for your help.I can vectorize it and cut it oout for you, if you like. What size do you need it to be?

Cheers,

Neal McCormick
12-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the responses! Ed - I haven't gotten that far in the process yet but I will let you know when that time comes. I have 3 kids at OSU so I am in effect close to you.

Jody Malinich
12-20-2007, 2:08 PM
Neal,

I have an image similar to that in vector format. If you still need it let me know and I'll upload it.

Lee DeRaud
12-20-2007, 3:25 PM
Also, if you want it engraved on the case itself, it will almost certainly have to be done before the case is assembled.

DAMHIKT.

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2007, 9:11 PM
Here you are.. In Version 8

Darren Null
12-21-2007, 1:01 PM
Q. What do you need in order to engrave that emblem onto a piece of wood?
A. A piece of wood with a flat surface

Q. Can it be resized during the process?
A. Yup

Q. I assume you need some sort of digital image - is there a standard way to get a digital copy made
A. If there isn't clipart available (and there obviously is in your case) take a photo with a digital camera. Get all of your logo in the shot; try to photograph it straight on; and YOU may know what is underneath the flash reflection, but your engraver may not.

Q. I didn't ask this question.
A. Yeah, but. Try to submit images at 300dpi at the size you want it to be.