PDA

View Full Version : To go along with How Old is Your Saw thread.

Brian Penning
12-19-2007, 4:35 PM
Reading that thread before and some of the posters mentioned their fathers and all.
Imagine if some of the old timer saws could talk!? Some of the things they've seen?

-"No no no, don't do that....I'm warning you...you don't have the splitter in...I'm gonna fire this piece right back'atcha!!!"
-"Geez, nice piece of oak ya got there...feed it to me baby!"
-"Boy, if your Dad & grandpappy could see you now. They fed me the same way."

Want to add some?

Bill Huber
12-19-2007, 4:43 PM
I know what mine would be saying...

"Oh now not another piece of 3 inch steel tubing..."

The reason I have this saw was my Dad used it to cut steel tubing when building a trailer for the backhoe. It got some much steel in the gears of the saw they stripped out and the saw was going to be junked.

At that time I could get all the parts from Sears and rebuilt it, that was 25 or 30 years ago.

David G Baker
12-19-2007, 6:45 PM
I cut a lot of steel with my Craftsman and it will haunt me one of these days. I did my best to clean everything up when I finished but the abrasive material from the cutting wheels is embedded pretty deeply in the moving parts. Shouldn't have done it but that was all I had at the time.

Mike Marcade
12-19-2007, 7:08 PM
I cut a lot of steel with my Craftsman and it will haunt me one of these days. I did my best to clean everything up when I finished but the abrasive material from the cutting wheels is embedded pretty deeply in the moving parts. Shouldn't have done it but that was all I had at the time.

At least you used a cutting wheel and not a saw blade. :D

Todd Burch
12-19-2007, 7:35 PM
I was sitting with my Grandpa (1915 - 1998) in the backyard one day under the Box Edler. He was reading the paper after dinner and I was just enjoying his company. We heard a circular saw sound coming from down the alley - stop and go - binding and screeching. My Grandpa put his paper down, looked at me and said "Todd - if that man [who was using the saw] worked for me, I would fire him"

I know you were referring to the "old timer" being the saw!

Todd

Bart Leetch
12-19-2007, 8:33 PM
I have this reoccurring thing of when I'm using a tool that was my Dad's where in my minds eye I see his hands.

Jim Becker
12-19-2007, 8:42 PM
I have this reoccurring thing of when I'm using a tool that was my Dad's where in my minds eye I see his hands.
I don't need to be working with tools for that one...no tools from Dad as he's never been a woodworker. But my hands are "aging" nearly identical. Scary...:eek:

Marcus Ward
12-19-2007, 9:02 PM
Let's see, I've got an old Disston #4 that is well over 100 years old. But you probably meant the powered kind. ;)

My hands look like my dad's too, except he was a boxer and they're bigger than mine. All that pounding takes a toll. He's got arthritis now and I hope to avoid it, never having been much of a fighter.