PDA

View Full Version : Which laser to buy?

Karl Franz
12-19-2007, 2:38 PM
Looking at purchasing a laser. have looked at about every web site, but thought I could get better information from you members that use them every day. Want to add on to my small wood business. Looking to spend no more than $20,000. Want to laser pens, pictures and small items not bigger than probally 11" x 15". Thanks for the help in advance.:):)

Mike Hood
12-19-2007, 2:44 PM
You'll no doubt hear every reason to buy the same equipment we each bought, but here are some criteria to consider when making your decision:

Table Size
Wattage
American made tube (easily repaired / recharged)
On site training availability
Warranty support plan / reputation
Servos over Stepper Motors
Pass-Through capability

You'll hear a lot about which is better (from various perspectives), but weigh your budget against some of these and you'll be fine.

Mike Null
12-19-2007, 3:29 PM
Make yourself a matrix with the brands you're considering across the top and the features down the left side and check off under each what features they have.

Warranty is a feature, speed is a feature etc.

I have had a ULS and now have a Trotec. Both served me well but the Trotec is a lot faster.

Vicky Orsini
12-19-2007, 3:42 PM
Add to that matrix a section for "comments" and record your impressions about the sales rep as well as any advice you get from other users about the service they've received over the years. ;)

Pete Simmons
12-19-2007, 4:21 PM
Karl - Here is an old thread that talks about this subject

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15448

I am still happy with my Mini-18 35 watt but there are other fine lasers out there also. You need to shop around and decide what best fits your use.

Ricky Gore
12-19-2007, 4:36 PM
Karl,
My wife & I just went throgh all of this, and it took several months of researching and talking to people, to figure out exactly what we needed. And in the end, we were looking very seriously at 4 different machines. Everything I could find put these machines very close in terms of ability and reliability. The owners of each one will defend them, and have very good reasons to. We eventually went with Epilog, and I just couldn't believe how easy it was to setup and get going. Good luck in your search, and I wish you the best.

Ricky

Brian Robison
12-19-2007, 4:44 PM
The Epliog techs are second to none in any business!
Ricky, got those pens done yet?

Ricky Gore
12-19-2007, 5:41 PM
Hey Brian,
I answered this in "Thin Ice Continued". So we don't take over the thread. :)

Scott Shepherd
12-19-2007, 6:52 PM
The Epliog techs are second to none in any business!

I thought you wanted to buy a machine that didn't need tech support :D

Yes, yes, yes, it was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Relax :)

Buy the one you feel most comfortable with. Some people want and need things that are very different than others. Find the system that fills your needs.

Anthony Scira
12-19-2007, 10:09 PM
After going to see the Epilog demo I was pretty much sold.

The salesman was fantastic. He let the machine sell itself. And so far its lived up to my expectations.

I have only had it a couple weeks so I may not know what I should be expecting. But I have made a lot of Christmas presents this year.

And I am glad I went with the Helix cause if I went with the Ledgend it would not have fit through the door. As it is I had to take the sliding back door off !

So there is my best tip ! Make sure it fits throught the door !

Ricky Gore
12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
This is another good tip for anyone buying a Helix. You CAN seperate the top from the stand. There are just four torx (star) screws holding it on the stand. I learned this after I had already torn part of my doorway out, and it still wouldn't fit. I wish I had noticed the screws before I tore it out now. :)

Sandra Force
12-20-2007, 1:02 PM
Your profile doesn't say where you are from. There are some very good distributors out there and it would help to know who to send you to. Country, State, maybe even city would help. :D Good luck hunting and remember that the quality of the machine is important but the quality of the support is just as important.