PDA

View Full Version : Now I know that this may be stupid....

Bill White
12-19-2007, 1:13 PM
but why is it that everyone on tv woodworking shows tells us to use a "sharp" chisel? Is it not understood?
Oh well, I feel better anyway. I'll go get my sharp handsaw and my sharp plane.
Bill

Lewis Moon
12-19-2007, 1:25 PM
but why is it that everyone on tv woodworking shows tells us to use a "sharp" chisel? Is it not understood?
Oh well, I feel better anyway. I'll go get my sharp handsaw and my sharp plane.
Bill
90% of the public doesn't know sharp. They think that the chisels bought down at the local Harbor Freight are quite sharp enough, right out of the box.

Don C Peterson
12-19-2007, 2:13 PM
Lewis, I'm sure you're right. Before I started down the Neander slope, I had no concept of "sharp".

However, I've noticed that these guys often use the term sharp, but I've only seen one episode of the Woodwright's Workshop where he actually defines it, much less shows how to achieve "sharp". So, telling folks who don't know what sharp really is to use a sharp chisel is somewhat like telling color-blind person to cut the red wire... There has to be some common reference for understanding.

Charlie Mastro
12-19-2007, 3:52 PM
Good point Don. That's why I like Roy over Norm.:)
I resent that nothing ever goes wrong on Normivision, while Roy is cutting his figners and dealing with a plane that's not set right. Hooray for Roy. Welcome to the real life....

Mark Stutz
12-19-2007, 6:45 PM
90% of the public doesn't know sharp. They think that the chisels bought down at the local Harbor Freight are quite sharp enough, right out of the box.

My first furniture project was a computer desk for my son...long before I discovered the Creek, or even used the internet. Mortise and tenon construction in red oak. I drilled out the waste, and cleaned out the motices using my BRAND NEW RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX MARPLES BLUE CHIP CHISELS! with a rubber mallet no less! It's a wonder I ever finished it, or am still woodworking.

Mark

Corvin Alstot
12-19-2007, 7:29 PM
Bill
Judging by every old plane and chisel that I buy or find, the answer is no.
Most old chisels that I find are at best very blunt and would dent before cutting.

Dan Barr
12-19-2007, 7:47 PM
Alright Don,

I'm color-blind and i know which wire is red. LOL

j/k

i got your point.

v/r

dan

Richard Niemiec
12-20-2007, 8:37 AM
Being a sucker for garage sales, it consistently amazes me as I find sets of 50s and 60s vintage butt chisels, yes, Craftsman mostly but also a set of 8 postwar A. Berg, where the user never sharpened them, they used them but moved from one to another when the "factory" edge got dull.....duh..... The steel on these are just fine for secondary use. I've got two such sets for my use, and have a few I am selling for $20 or so.

You don't find that with the older sets of Union, Witherby, etc., as the folks that owned them knew what chisels were about.

I also think we all get a bit carried away with sharpening; read some of Tag Frid's views on sharpening....

RN

Billy Chambless
12-20-2007, 9:32 AM
Y'all are giving me a great idea for a reality/woodworking show.

"After you gouge out the mortise with a dull, rusty chisel, dig around under the workbench and see if there's a bottle of glue that's not completely hardened..."

Al Willits
12-20-2007, 9:53 AM
I think many miss the difference between a wood chisel and a metal one, you sharpen a chisel for wood and use it on metal it won't last 30 seconds.
Having come from the metal side of things, I would never sharpen anything like a woodworking tool, considering most that I know were brought up with way more metal working like automotive stuff, its not hard to see why a new stock chisel appears sharp to them.

More of that learning curve.

Billy, you been in my garage????:D:D

Al

Tyler Howell
12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
If they are not sharp the user will beat them harder with a hammer till they complete or destroy the project

James Mittlefehldt
12-20-2007, 1:21 PM
Being a sucker for garage sales, it consistently amazes me as I find sets of 50s and 60s vintage butt chisels, yes, Craftsman mostly but also a set of 8 postwar A. Berg, where the user never sharpened them, they used them but moved from one to another when the "factory" edge got dull.....duh..... The steel on these are just fine for secondary use. I've got two such sets for my use, and have a few I am selling for $20 or so.

You don't find that with the older sets of Union, Witherby, etc., as the folks that owned them knew what chisels were about.

I also think we all get a bit carried away with sharpening; read some of Tag Frid's views on sharpening....

RN

Also Roy Underhill in his zen of woodworking.