PDA

View Full Version : sliding outfeed table extension

Dave Cohen
12-19-2007, 1:10 PM
I want to create an extension to my outfeed table that is hinged (top drops drown out of the way) and can slide side to side (extension is narrower than outfeed table) so I can position it where I want it.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fabricate something like this, or is there existing hardware that can do this?

http://picasaweb.google.com/alhenex/ReferencePhotos/photo#5145747112514490562

John Gornall
12-19-2007, 1:39 PM
My outfeed table is a separate table - I can put it where ever I want or use it as an assembly table. It's heavy enough that it doesn't move when sawing but I have it on leveling sliders to I can adjust the height and push it around the shop.

Thom Sturgill
12-19-2007, 1:39 PM
Mount a piece of pipe on the bottom edge of the outfeed table apron with three pipe hangers or bolts run through holes drilled in the pipe. It will need to be spaced a little off of the table apron to allow clearance for the extension mounting. Then use two more pipe hangers to mount the extension to the pipe. That would give you up to about 20" of side-side motion.

I would use iron pipe or steel rod, but you could possibly go as light as pvc depending on the weight of the extension. You could fabricate bearings from copper pipe if you found rod that matched diameters properly. Copper pipe is sold based on ID while steel rod would be based on OD.

I just made my extension full width and used three door hinges. Its basically a torsion box and I use it for assembly and needed the area.

Dave Cohen
12-19-2007, 1:52 PM
Thanks thats a great idea, I think I could fabricate it with 1/2" copper pipe and maybe make sleaves from 3/4" pipe to slide over the 1/2" pipe. I have some scraps laying around the shop - even better.

Dave Cohen
12-19-2007, 2:30 PM
Yeah mine too. This is an extension (attached to outfeed table) that swings up if I want to handle extra long stock, without resorting to rollers.

Bill Davis 0302
12-20-2007, 12:27 AM
My outfeed table is a separate table - I can put it where ever I want or use it as an assembly table. It's heavy enough that it doesn't move when sawing but I have it on leveling sliders to I can adjust the height and push it around the shop.

John, do yo have any photos of your table?:D