PDA

View Full Version : Custom Pistol Grips

Burt Alcantara
12-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Not the kind for tools, the kind for guns. I have a Buckmark that I'd like to make for left-handed bullseye. Cutting the panels is no problem but what's the best way to contour them? Also, how would I make a wrap around, like the Olympic style grips?

Thanks,
Burt

Lee Schierer
12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
When I made a gun stock so my son could hunt when he was young I used wood rasps, bastard cut files and sanding drums to do the contours, finishing up with lots of hand sanding. I suppose you could use a dremel or other rotary file as well. Saw off the excess wood with a band saw to get close and then do the finish carving with sanding or filing.

Justin Bukoski
12-19-2007, 11:28 AM
spindle sand to your layout line and then use rasps, files and sandpaper to finish the shape

David G Baker
12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
My older brother cast pistol grips out of an epoxy or some other plastic casting product back in the early 60's. When finished they looked like they were made from ivory. They were very good looking and he sold a bunch of them at gun shops. I like the wooden pistol grips on the older guns.

John VanDivier
12-19-2007, 1:44 PM
40 years ago I hand carved several sets of custom Brazilian rosewood pistol grips for S&W and Colt revolvers. At that time I only had a X-acto set, some rat tail rasps, home-made sanding sticks and various other carving knives. The outside shape and form was the easy and "fun" part. The inletting for the pistol frame was the tedious part to do by hand with those tools. Today I would inlet with a router. I still have enough of that old stock of rosewood to make several more sets and would like to do so. Good luck, with a very satisfying project.

Burt Alcantara
12-19-2007, 3:20 PM
Looks like just plain old tools do the work. I had visions of strange scrapers and tools with funny names.

Thanks guys,
Burt

Rick Levine
12-19-2007, 4:23 PM
Check out these new rotary tools, I might even buy some for myself. They were featured on a DIY Network episode.

http://saburr-tooth.com/tools.htm

Joel Goodman
12-19-2007, 5:11 PM
There are specific tools for checkering, if you plan to do that. i believe that Brownells has them.

Burt Alcantara
12-19-2007, 11:44 PM
While I don't like checkering, I do like a fuzzy grip that wont slide around in my hand so I'll take a look at those burrs.

John Newell
12-20-2007, 2:54 PM
The new non-clogging burrs for rotary machines are *great* for rough shaping and even pretty fine shaping/finishing if you have a steady hand and a good eye. Add a couple of the Proxon flapwheels to your kit (short dollars) for the finishing phases.