PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Board Process

Don L Johnson
12-19-2007, 8:58 AM
I'm making end grain cutting boards; I've finished the first glue up and have run the boards through the drum sander at 100 grit to smooth then down. The question I have: Is the 100 grit okay to gule up when I recut the boards in order to do the end grain glue up? Or, shoud I have a smoother surface (i.e., sanding with a higher grit paper) to glue with?

Mike McCann
12-19-2007, 9:19 AM
Don

you should be ok. I just run mine thru a planer and the cut and reglue.

Bill Huber
12-19-2007, 1:26 PM
I do the same thing as Mike, run it though the planer and check for any snip and then cut and do the next glue up.
Now if I do find any snip I will run each block thought the jointer the same number of times on each board.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2007, 1:30 PM
Don,

When in doubt, try some test cases. Cut a piece off your first glue-up and cut it in half and glue them together or just put them together and look at them. Are you satisfied? I bet you'll be fine but if it were me, I'd run 'em through the planer. The sander is good for glue removal that isn't kind to planer knives.

Dave Hale
12-19-2007, 8:44 PM
I found 100 grit still left 'ridges' that would show in the final glue-up as small, small gaps. I used the drum sander to get the majority of the boards leveled and glue removed, then back to one pass with the planer on each side.

After cutting the end-grain strips, I knock off any wood fragments (splits) with a quick stroke of a sanding block on all 4 edges and get ALL of the dust, chips, etc removed before doing the glue-up. Learned the hard way that any little bit of wood stuck in between the strips will show as a gap. :o

I also learned, the hard way, that a cutoff sled is the best way to ensure evenly sized strips. If you're doing the 'alternating method' of combining the strips, any difference in beginning and ending widths will be a real pain to sand down evenly.

Another hint is, if you're resting the strips on your clamp's body, get the glue drips off of the bar. This also helps in a consistent height result.

Another hint. :D
I now use 5/4 lumber to start instead of 4/4. Planed down to 1". Much easier to glue-up 15 1" strips than 23-25 5/8" strips.