PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl

steven carter
12-19-2007, 8:20 AM
A co-worker of mine has 100 acres of woods and invited me to come and cut some wood. I got some nice cherry. He also showed me a tree that had been down for so long that the bark was almost completely gone. What was left was very stringy. The wood appeared dark and he said he thought it was walnut, so I cut some. I really couldn't tell, it was so soggy that it didn't even smell when I cut it with the chain saw. Unfortunately there was a crack that ran the length of the trunk on one side of the log, so I could only get one bowl blank from the good side. Once I got it home and it dried some, I could smell that is was indeed walnut. Here is the bowl. It is 9" x 3", finished with my first attempt at homebrew oil finish, then buffed with tripoli and carnuba. Thanks to all those who have posted NOT to use the white diamond! I did try the white diamond on a waste piece just to see the results, and I sure would have been disappointed if I had done this to the bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2007, 9:03 AM
Great looking bowl Steve! Nice size, great color! I think I would be talking to my friend about picking up some more of this wood! Nice work!

Glenn Hodges
12-19-2007, 9:18 AM
Great save Steven, I like it.

Bob Hallowell
12-19-2007, 9:34 AM
Nice piece Steve also nice finish, I do use white diamonds and do as Travis suggested and don't chagre it just use the wheel the way it was the last ime you used it. so there is not alot left over to feel the pores

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Steven that is a nice looking bowl. Gotta love the walnut.

Tom Sherman
12-19-2007, 2:58 PM
One very nice bowl, walnut can have some surprises for us.