PDA

View Full Version : Just in time!

Lee Schierer
12-19-2007, 8:12 AM
Here is a clock and weather station I recently completed. The works and glass were from Klockit and the clock is styled after a kit they sell, but I developed my own drawing and dimensions for all the wood parts. There is a wood case behind what you can see that is octagonal on the top portion to enclose the works and rectangular on the bottom to enclose the pendulum. The door and face do not open. The weather sations instruments are also from Klockit, but the design is my own and was intended to complement the clock. The clock is about 22" tall and the weather station is about 13 inches tall. They are both made of red oak, stained with MinWax Golden Oak stain and finished with MinWax Polyacrylic semigloss water based wood finish. I think I have about 18-20 hours in the clock and weather station including finishing. They will be come wedding gifts for my nephew and his new wife later this year.

Thanks for viewing

David Cramer
12-19-2007, 8:47 AM
Very nice Lee!! One of my future projects and I just got the Klockit Catalog in the mail. Your photos were the shove that I needed to get going (by early next year, I hope). Thanks for posting.

Now that Jewelry Box on your website, how long did that baby take to make and was it an original design. I am definitely making something like for my wife in the near, near future. I couldn't make it by Christmas, too much to do, but that Jewelry Box Rocks! How many hours were involved in that and how much in material, :)if I may ask. Thanks!

Dave

Lee Schierer
12-19-2007, 9:12 AM
Now that Jewelry Box on your website, how long did that baby take to make and was it an original design. I am definitely making something like for my wife in the near, near future. I couldn't make it by Christmas, too much to do, but that Jewelry Box Rocks! How many hours were involved in that and how much in material, :)if I may ask. Thanks!

Dave

The jewelry box was completely original design. It took longer to figure out what LOML wanted and how to make it work than it took to make it. I really didn't keep track of the time in the jewelry box, even though I meant to. I would guess I have at least 30 hours in it. The material was mostly small stuff. Most of the wood is 1/4-1/2". THe drawers and the housing for them is all 1/4" maple. The doors and back panel are 3/8" The lid is 1/2". The only thicker stock is the molding that makes up the base.

Don Bullock
12-19-2007, 9:43 AM
Those look great Lee. Nice job --congratulations on meeting the "deadline."

Tom Kelley
12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Lee,
Nice job! I have not made a clock yet. Would like to. But I did make two weather stations with the same components and in the same order and spacing as yours. (Great minds think alike) However, I designed mine with a cathedral like curve on the top and bottom and routed the edges with an ogee bit. Maybe when I get my workbench done I'll get around to a clock. If I have the time. Hee Hee
Tom