PDA

View Full Version : can I use hydraulic hose for my air compressor?

dale rex
12-19-2007, 6:57 AM
need a hose to connect my new stationary compressor to a piping system that I am getting ready to install. Was going to buy some bulk air hose at first, and simply put barbed fittings and hose clamps on the ends. Then I saw at Tractor Supply they have hydraulic hose in ready made lengths and various inside diameters. Can hydraulic hose be used for air systems? Are the threads the same? The hydraulic hose can certainly handle the air pressure, and would save me some time to make one with the barbred fittings, and IMHO might be a little safer than making my own hose. Additionally, I can get a hydraulic hose withan ID of 1/2" to match my pipe ID, and the fittings would hopefully match the ball valve coming out of the compressor(1/2" ball valve)

Mike Cutler
12-19-2007, 7:48 AM
need a hose to connect my new stationary compressor to a piping system that I am getting ready to install. Was going to buy some bulk air hose at first, and simply put barbed fittings and hose clamps on the ends. Then I saw at Tractor Supply they have hydraulic hose in ready made lengths and various inside diameters. Can hydraulic hose be used for air systems? Are the threads the same? The hydraulic hose can certainly handle the air pressure, and would save me some time to make one with the barbred fittings, and IMHO might be a little safer than making my own hose. Additionally, I can get a hydraulic hose withan ID of 1/2" to match my pipe ID, and the fittings would hopefully match the ball valve coming out of the compressor(1/2" ball valve)

Yes it can be used as long as it hasn't been previously installed in a hydraulic system. A home air compressor operates at such a low pressure that it wouldn't even begin to challenge the WOG rating of hydraulic system components.
If the fittings that come on the hose are NPT fittings, they are standard 1/4",3/8",1/2" NPT fittings, and can be adapted to any air quick disconnect fitting.
If the fittings on the air hose are ANZ type fittings, 37, or 60 degree flares or hydraulic wallseal type fittings, all are adaptable to NPT. Eventually a hydraulic hose enters a manifold, valve, or block assembly and the transition to NPT is made. Be warned up front that some of these fittings can be a little $$$$
A 1/2" close nipple, or NPT adapter can be purchased to adapt the hose to your air compressor.
If you have a problem finding the correct parts. Post a pic and I'll try to list the parts, by name, that you are looking for.

Matt Meiser
12-19-2007, 8:22 AM
That's exactly what I did. I was able to find the appropriate length and fitting in stock at Tractor Supply.

dale rex
12-19-2007, 5:18 PM
cool.........now a field trip to Tractor Supply is in order. Thats where I bought my compressor. I find myself going there more and more.:D Much better than the BORGs IMHO.

Alan Schaffter
12-19-2007, 5:31 PM
I have a 175 psi compressor and just used a 2' length of 200 psi bulk hose, barb fittings, and band clamps from Lowes. It has been working fine.

John Canfield
12-20-2007, 9:15 PM
I have a 175 psi compressor and just used a 2' length of 200 psi bulk hose, barb fittings, and band clamps from Lowes. It has been working fine.My compressor is 135 psi and I also used 1/2 inch hose and barb fittings from Lowes. The barb fittings had a greater inside diameter than the Tractor Supply hydraulic hoses which sealed the deal for the bulk hose. My compressor will do 18 CFM @ 90 psi so I wanted maximum capacity in hose and lines. In my Lowes, the bulk 1/2" hose is Goodyear so I trust the quality.

Daryl Upole
12-22-2007, 7:25 AM
Yes, I also did this. Works fine. I had the ends I wanted put on at the shop.

PS for anyone interested, soldered copper lines work fine for air lines and are much easier than black pipe and much safer than pvc. The copper institute has all the specs and technical stuff on it. I think the basic joint is good to at least 500 psi and some types are good way over 1000 psi. Between that and the 3M threadlock for any threaded fittings, I have practically no noticeable air loss and this configuration is very easy to change and adapt. Plus, you can make an "S" shaped condenser off the tank with the soft copper. In over two years, I have gotten no noticeable moisture out of my drops at the connection points.