PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone Sandblasted before?

Arturo Villegas
12-19-2007, 2:40 AM
I was trying these big glass cups with my laser, but due to their shape and size I wasnt able to laser them. I gave up on that idea and bought a HF sandblaster with all the goodies. I am having problems cutting the Laser Tape (mask) on my laser before I blast them. Is there a better process for Sandblasting? Different Mask? Ive searched and can't find an answer. Any techniques or comments will be of great help.

Thanks,

Joe Pelonio
12-19-2007, 8:06 AM
Plotter cut vinyl works well as a resist for sandblasting glass.

Richard Rumancik
12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
. . . I am having problems cutting the Laser Tape (mask) on my laser before I blast them. Is there a better process for Sandblasting? Different Mask?

Is this the Photobrasive/Ikonics product you are using? If so, have you contacted them? What exactly is happening when you try to laser?

Also consider Rayzist LazerMask
http://www.rayzist.com/supplies/lazermask.asp
They have a video for this product.

You might try some experiments with a regular self-adhesive sign mylar. Briefly: Tape a piece down flat onto a piece of acrylic; laser through the mylar. (Make sure you are through the mylar layer but not through the paper liner.) Then apply transfer tape to the face. Peel off the paper liner from the rear and apply to the glass. Rub down completely. Carefully and slowly peel off the transfer tape. Make sure you don't lose the centers of any characters (centers of O's, A's, etc). Sandblast - again, watch the small pieces. Clean. You can experiment on mugs or glassware from the dollar store.

A vinyl cutter can be used for larger pieces, but I presume you are doing finer graphics/small text which may rule out a vinyl plotter.

The laser & blast method is good for a few pieces. For larger quantities, many people go the "optical" route with UV resists etc. This does not involve the laser at all.

If items are identical and the quantity is high, you can also have someone (eg Photobrasive) make the stencils for you as an alternative, to get you going.

Ron Hamilton
12-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Joe, I have been a sandblaster for the past 18 years and Richard is correct in suggesting Photobrasive and rayzist as the fix for your application. I have been using the photo mask for a long time and make my own stencils using a UV light to expose the film. Washout has a bit of a learning curve but you will get it in the end.
Print the graphic onto clear velum using a good printer, the best black selection place over the film and expose to the uv light then wash out.
For a one off then they will make the stencil for you. Just send camera ready artwork so you do not need to pay for computer time on there end.

Ron.....

Joe Pelonio
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM
I have always kept my blasting to sizes that allow for vinyl or rubber resist, and mostly wood/rock so have never needed photo resist. I can go down to 1/4" letters on vinyl, and would not try anything smaller.

Arturo Villegas
12-19-2007, 1:35 PM
I wasnt getting the fine detail from the Laser Tape (Laser bits). I was using too much power at first. I'll try other tapes with different settings. What kind of settings do you guys use? Fast, low power?
As far as the pressure to blast? 20-30 psi?

Darryl Hazen
12-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Arturo,

You should visit this forum:

http://www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com/forums/index.php?

The folks over there are a great bunch and they can help you with any questions you have.