PDA

View Full Version : Workbench (finally here)

gary Zimmel
12-19-2007, 12:16 AM
It's been a long wait (about 10 months), but it arrived today.

Took a little doing to unload it by myself, but nothing was going to stop me tonight. Had to do the maiden shaving.

I know we are suppose to build our own benches but I have spent so much time building things for the shop that for me this was the best way to go.

In the next couple of nights there will be a little rearranging in the shop so I can figure out where it will live.

Specs are solid maple 7 1/2' long 37" high and built for a lefty like me.

This puppy I'm jacked about......

jonathan snyder
12-19-2007, 1:02 AM
Very nice Gary. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Jonathan

John Schreiber
12-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Congratulations Gary, Looks like a fine tool. Now, what were you shaving on it?;)

Tim Leo
12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
and built for a lefty like me.

Wow. I never saw a left-handed bench before. Cool.

Greg Cole
12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Very easy to see why you'd be jacked about..... that's a fine looking bench.
Nice of Santa to drop it off early, although maybe he was just lightening up the sleigh... thats not anything like a 150 pound pre-made kit bench!

Congrats.

Greg

Hank Knight
12-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Congrats on your new bench, Gary. I know you will enjoy it, especially after the long wait.

I took a class at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, ME this Fall. It's just down the road from the Lie-Nielsen showroom/store. One of the guys in my class orderd his LN bench while I was there. He was one excited puppy!

Hank

Jay Jolliffe
12-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I took the twelve week course at Center for Furniture Craftsmanship two winters ago it's a great course. Also took the furniture finishing course this fall with Teri Masaschi. Maybe we were in the same building at the same time. What course did you take. At the school they call Lie Neilsen's showroom the crack house. Hard to pass it up. How long did you have to wait for the bench? They told me there was a wait of one year for a bench. :(

Hank Knight
12-19-2007, 2:14 PM
Jay,

I have taken two one-week coursers at CFC: "The Art of Drawer Making" taught by Craig Vandall Stevens in October of '06 and Garrett Hack's "Precision with Hand Tools" this September. Id' love to take the twelve week course, but I still have a day job - maybe after August when I retire. It's a great place with really good instructors. I learned a lot in both courses.

I tried to avoid the LN crack house both times but was unsuccessful. Their benches are really nice, and I know Gary is going to like his. I didn't buy a bench (I built my own), but I picked up some other odds and ends: a LA Jack, a LA adjustable block plane and their new router plane. I can't afford too many visits there.:p

I don't want to hijack this thread, so ping me off line and tell me how you liked the 12 week course.

Hank