PDA

View Full Version : Sjoberg Workbench Value

Dennis Collins
12-18-2007, 10:33 PM
I found a used 53" Sjoberg workbench with a tool tray and was wondering what a fair price might be for the unit. It is in mint condition. It is about 8 years old.

Charlie Mastro
12-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I guess my first question is how much does the seller want for it?:confused:

Dennis Collins
12-19-2007, 7:18 AM
Was not sure what it was worth. I believe he said it sold for $500 new.

Tony Zaffuto
12-19-2007, 8:56 AM
Before you start down what might be an expensive path, will the bench serve your purposes? Why is the seller getting rid of it?

An excellent resource to help you understand your bench needs is Chris Schwartz's new workbench book. He goes into detail over various construction details and pro's and con's of different bench styles.

Even at half of the $500 price, you may be spending more than the material to build your own bench.

T.Z.

mike holden
12-19-2007, 9:53 AM
Since you can get a new sjoberg bench for 300-400$, I would expect a used one to go for half that, 150-200$ range.
I have two sjobergs and find them useful beginner benches, will build my own when I get time ( time - ha!)
Only have two cause the first warped when flooded by an icemaker hose bursting. When it finally dried out, it was flat again, so now have two.
Mike

Greg Cole
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I've heard some say they like the Sjoberg for lighter use. I know they do make a bigger heavier duty one, but never heard anything @ them.
I almost bought one at Woodcraft about a year ago, but the light weight of them was my issue. If I weight as much as the bench I'll wind up with a bench moving around in heavy use.... not like I am 500 lbs, but at 190 & long arms & legs I'd want more heft from a bench. I've all but made up my pea brain to make one... as long as Marcus' source for $2 hard maple has some when I get 'round to going to visit.
Almost bought a used Hoffman & Hammer a couple weeks ago too, but opted out of it. Too narrow for me & I can't seem to convince myself to not build one now.
I tend to be a wee bit rough on my current bench, so a dedicated neander one might not be subjected to said abuse....:rolleyes:

Cheers.
Greg

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-19-2007, 10:22 AM
For $500.00 you can build an original "Collins" work bench and have money left over for tools.

Thom Sturgill
12-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Depends on which model you are talking about. Woodcraft lists Sjoberg workbenches ranging in price from $129 to $2000. I'd suggest checking their page before talking money....

David Weaver
12-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I use one as my main bench (the longest one -72" I think), but it's butted up against another bench for weight - a much heavier bench. I wouldn't plan on putting one free-standing in the middle of a room.

When I plane with mine and it starts to move, it moves right against my other bench, and that's the end of the movement.

The legs of the benches leaves something to be desired. Given that the wood is from overseas, I can't say for sure it's just thin pine legs, but that's what they look like.

I think they probably weigh 150 pounds or something, and they make a decent starter bench if you can butt them against something. The vices obviously aren't fantastic compared to the stuff on a "real" bench, but they will do the job if you don't abuse them.

I got mine when they had the bench on sale at rockler for $100 off and threw in the free cabinet and drawers with it (which, I think, is another $149). That made the whole bench $399 with tax, but no freight/UPS, and I'm happy with it for that. It's reasonably flat, and it's far better than some of the super-cheap HF benches, etc, that don't have dog holes ar a skirt around the side of the top, let alone two vices. You can also choose where you put the vices, so that's nice. If you're going to edge joint a lot of long boards, you can put both vices on the front and not have to clamp the back of your work piece.

When I get a new workspace in the next decade or so when my wife demands we move, I will build a proper bench. Until then, this one is fine, even if it's not ideal.

I wouldn't give the guy you're talking about more than $150 for one used.