PDA

View Full Version : Three Legged Stool

Jeff Wittrock
12-18-2007, 9:49 PM
This is a three legged stool I made this year. I originally made it because I needed a work stool that was tall enough to use with my bench. I started out hollowing the seat with a gouge and a round bottom spokeshave, but I have to admit I did some of the shaping with an angle grinder :(.

After I made it, I must admit I really liked the looks and simplicity of the thing. Unfortunately it is absolutely worthless for its intended purpose. It is just awful uncomfortable to sit on. The corners on the front dig into the thigh. It is way to "tipsy" for my son to safely use. My wife has tried sitting on it a few times, but she just ends up sliding off ( I waxed the seat ). We talked about selling it on ebay as a "doll" stool, but I think the shipping cost would probably make it too expensive for that purpose.

Chairs (and stools) are real tough for me. If you make a chest of drawers and it is mis proportioned, at least is can still be a useful piece of furniture, but what to do with a misshapen seat?

jonathan snyder
12-18-2007, 10:31 PM
what to do with a misshapen seat?

I have no idea, but your joinery looks great!! My first thought was a plant stand, by maybe not with a hollowed seat.

JOnathan

Mark Stutz
12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I haven't felt up to tackling a chair or stool, so take this for what it's worth. If it is useless now as a stool, unless you want it for sentimental reasons, turn it into a prototypeof sorts. Mark where the front edges dig in, and go after them with a rasp until they don't dig in. Try changing the angle by shortening the back leg, or do whatever it takes to get it to a useful point na dthen use it as a model for the next one. Maybe easier said than done though. It certainly LOOKS great now, though.

Mark

Jake Darvall
12-19-2007, 7:05 AM
It looks ok Jeff. My boss makes stools like these. He made plenty he didn't like before he found a design that worked.

One of his first designs was like yours. I think the problem is, that single leg at the back. ie. if your going to have three legs, put two of them at the back, not one.
more stable I think.

Jeff Wittrock
12-19-2007, 8:58 PM
It looks ok Jeff. My boss makes stools like these. He made plenty he didn't like before he found a design that worked.

One of his first designs was like yours. I think the problem is, that single leg at the back. ie. if your going to have three legs, put two of them at the back, not one.
more stable I think.

Thats a good point Jake. I just had it fixed in my mind that I needed two legs in front. Two legs in back as you mention would definitely not tip back and to the side so easy.

I thought about making a four legger, but my floor is not very level, so I liked the idea of a three legger.

I think before I attempt another stool I just need to try out some existing ones. I think spending some time to make a mock up would probably be a good idea too. I just hate to waist wood (even 2X4s and scrap poplar) on a mock up, but I guess its better than waisting hardwood on a poor design.

Thanks
-Jeff

Jim Becker
12-19-2007, 8:59 PM
Very nice, Jeff! I'm a three-leg fan, especially with our uneven brick and antique wood floors.

Philip Duffy
12-20-2007, 6:54 PM
Looks like you made a great looking plant stand! Double the price and it will sell, for sure! Philip