PDA

View Full Version : UniKlamp vs. K-Body

Brandon Shew
12-18-2007, 9:33 PM
I haven't seen the UniKlamps in person yet. What are the differences between these and the K-Body version?

SCOTT ANDREWS
12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I have only seen them on woodcrafts website.They look like a nice clamp.They quoted them as being a light to medium duty clamp.

Art Mann
12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I own and use both types. The Uniklamp (spelling?) is a lot lighter and weaker than the K-body clamps but in situations where maximum force isn't required, they are a lot easier to use. I think they both have their place in the shop. I use the Uniklamps a lot of times where I might otherwise use "F" clamps because of the parallel jaws.

Hank Knight
12-19-2007, 11:42 AM
What Art said.

I use both Uniklamps and K-Bodies. I have a bunch of Uniklamps hanging over my bench within easy reach for light clamping tasks. They are so handy, I almost never use an "F" style clamp or a "C" clamp any more. The K-Bodies are for heavy clamping and are much stouter and heavier than the Uniklamps.

Hank

Jason Beam
12-19-2007, 1:17 PM
Having both, the Uni-Klamp is ... a junior version of the K-Body in just about every way. The bar is quite a bit smaller (about the size of a normal F-style clamp) and the jaws are about 60% those of a K-Body. They're almost ... dare I say ... Cute ...

They're lightweight, which is VERY handy. They still pack a good whallop, still, but are certainly for light-duty clamping. The way Art and Hank use 'em is the same way I do, too. I do have a little more trouble sliding the jaws around compared to the K-Body jaws. They just seem to stick more for me.

Jim Becker
12-19-2007, 2:36 PM
I really like the UniKlamps for utility and plan on adding more to my collection should I ever actually get to a show and find a deal. Maybe this winter. I use them a lot for smaller tasks and where I would have used a Tradesman in the past. The larger, flat jaws are easier to work with and are less prone to marking the workpiece if one forgets a pad. That said, they are not "parallel" clamps in the precision that the K-Bodies are...but pretty darn close overall and a good value for lighter needs.

glenn bradley
12-19-2007, 3:16 PM
Unis are lightweight by design. A notable difference is obvious if you view the head pieces from the rear. K-Body has four steel plates in the jaws, Unis have two.