PDA

View Full Version : Computer desk and hutch completed

Doug Keener
02-21-2004, 11:18 PM
This was for a customer that wanted a specific size desk and hutch to fit in a slightly smaller than normal size desk space. It is made of Alder and stained with Watco Cherry and topcoated with Deft Satin. The back is tongue and groove from the front view. Thanks for looking

Doug Keener

Pic 1 is the front.

Pic 2 is all doors open.

Pic 3 is key board drawer and swing out mouse pad.

Pic 4 is a back view.

Joe Bourbois
02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Nice job, Doug. I like that you accounted for a mouse tray. That's a good feature.

Jim Becker
That's a great looking desk, Doug. Nice job!

Terry Hatfield
Doug,

Excellent job!!!!! I love everything about it. Extremely good design and execution.

I bet your customer will be thrilled with it. I know I would!!!

Terry

Kent Cori
02-22-2004, 4:37 PM
Great job Doug! Did you design the desk and hutch from scratch or did you have some type of plan to follow? How did the Alder take the stain (it certanily looks good!)

Doug Keener
02-22-2004, 7:06 PM
Great job Doug! Did you design the desk and hutch from scratch or did you have some type of plan to follow? How did the Alder take the stain (it certanily looks good!)

The customer had a photo in a book of a similar desk that was painted. When I talked with them I saw that they had furniture that was stained and that the Alder would fit in very well. Besides, I hate to paint wood!

I used a sanding sealer before staining to be sure there wouldn't be any
uneven absorbtion. The stain went on very nice. The customer is very happy with it.

Thanks for the comments, Doug

Steve Clardy
02-22-2004, 7:30 PM
Very nice Doug Loike it very much. Breadboard ends on desk surface?
Steve :cool:

Doug Keener
02-22-2004, 7:39 PM
Very nice Doug Loike it very much. Breadboard ends on desk surface?
Steve :cool:

Tops do not have breadboard ends. I prefer that no uneven joints show up over time. The sanding sealer prevented the stain from soaking in and making them dark.

Doug

Todd Burch
02-23-2004, 8:17 AM
Doug, I like the desk. Looks like you did a FINE job of putting it together! It's got a nice color and the proportions are good.

A tip on your photos though - next time when you resize, check the anti-alias checkbox. That way, the lines will not be as jittery. Also for posting, 640 x 480 is a good size for veiwing, with file sizes in the 30K to 50K range. If you compress via pixel spacing, either 72 pixels per inch (ppi) or 96ppi are both adequate for viewing.

Todd

Doug Keener
02-23-2004, 9:25 AM
Doug, I like the desk. Looks like you did a FINE job of putting it together! It's got a nice color and the proportions are good.

A tip on your photos though - next time when you resize, check the anti-alias checkbox. That way, the lines will not be as jittery. Also for posting, 640 x 480 is a good size for veiwing, with file sizes in the 30K to 50K range. If you compress via pixel spacing, either 72 pixels per inch (ppi) or 96ppi are both adequate for viewing.

Todd

Thanks Todd. I'll keep that in mind. I got in a hurry and didn't even think about the aliasing effect. The best part of a project like this is seeing the response of the customer when he/she first sees it. I also like the installation part of this type... NONE!!!!

Doug

Jason Tuinstra
02-23-2004, 9:29 AM
Doug, great job. The desk look fantastic. I like your attention to detail with the back of the desk. Nice touch. Jason

Bart Leetch
02-23-2004, 9:38 AM
Doug

Is there some way you can show how you mounted the mouse pad? Does it fold out from the key board drawer or what?

Doug Keener
02-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Doug

Is there some way you can show how you mounted the mouse pad? Does it fold out from the key board drawer or what?

Hi Bart

There sure is. The mouse pad was purchased from Rockler and I included two because there is a "lefty" in the house. I did what Todd said so I hope this photo looks better.

Doug

Todd Burch
02-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Much better!

Rob Littleton
02-23-2004, 2:09 PM
Totally awesome dude.........

That would look great in my house.

I dare not show SWMBO.........

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-23-2004, 3:08 PM
Very nice desk - well thought out.
Wish it was here!
Neat idea concerning the two mouse pads.
Daniel :cool: