PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench/Table Vise

Sean Troy
12-18-2007, 9:27 PM
Hello all, after I get back in town from visiting family during the holidays, I want to start building my work bench. What type of vise (s) should I be installing? Expense is somewhat of a concern after spending more than I was going to,to build the new shop but I don't want to get junk either. The planned length of the bench is 8 ft. but I,m not sure on width yet. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Sean

Dennis Hatchett
12-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Hello all, after I get back in town from visiting family during the holidays, I want to start building my work bench. What type of vise (s) should I be installing? Expense is somewhat of a concern after spending more than I was going to,to build the new shop but I don't want to get junk either. The planned length of the bench is 8 ft. but I,m not sure on width yet. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Sean

If you are looking to build a traditional bench with the old school vises then The workbench book is your source for all the options. (Scott Landis, Taunton Press)

But my suggestion for a face vice is the twin screw vice from Lee Valley. It was my choice and I've never regretted it. It can hold a 6 to 7 foot board with no other support. Of course you'll need some type of end vice if you want to use bench dogs. I've seen this twin screw vice installed on the end of a bench for use with a double row of bench dogs. But that wouldn't be my choice because there is no quick release and no variable dog option on the vice. Good luck!

Dave Anderson NH
12-19-2007, 9:49 AM
Before starting on your new bench I would recommend buying reading, and re-reading Chris Schwarz's new book on workbenches. Unlike all the other bench books it delves VERY VERY deeply into how a bench is used and the vise and clamping options for almost every type of hand and power tool operation. It's not a coffee table book, but rather a guide to making choices. No other book is as user oriented.

Sean Troy
12-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Before starting on your new bench I would recommend buying reading, and re-reading Chris Schwarz's new book on workbenches. Unlike all the other bench books it delves VERY VERY deeply into how a bench is used and the vise and clamping options for almost every type of hand and power tool operation. It's not a coffee table book, but rather a guide to making choices. No other book is as user oriented.

I just ordered it, thanks, sean

Jesse Cloud
12-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Good advice above! Just FYI, I have two vices, a Record knock-off by Groz
and a pattern makers vice.

The Groz is great for dog work and has a quick release.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4939

The pattern makers is the bees knees for holding curved work or holding work at convenient angles.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3516

One other thing I did which I really like, find a leather store and look at their scrap bin. You can get scrap strips really cheap that will fit your vise jaws to protect your workpieces.

Bob Malone
12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Sean I spent a lot of time reading everything I could find about woodworking benches and then evaluating the type of work I typically do. Several things made sense and the vises followed the form and function rule:
1) I typically build large furinture projects with lots of large panels; hence, a Lee Valley twin screw vise with the screws set to maximum distance apart (24") gives me lots of room to hold large panels. I made the inner and outer jaws 12" deep and the outer vice face 4" thick - once the jaws grip a panel, it never moves - I love this feature.
2) The front vise is a 9" LV quick release steel vise mortised into a solid 4" thick x 20" wide cherry and maple vise face. It allows for the use of bench dogs and it also gives a lot of substance and holding power but is easy and quick to open and close. I realized in my process review that very seldom do I open the jaws of the front vise very far, but I do a lot of small tweaks to a piece of wood in the vise to get it just right - so quick opening and closing were important. Does this large heavy vice rack? Yes a small amount, about 1/16 inch across the 20" length with a 1" thick board clamped into the vice. I can accept that much racking.
3) I am only 5' 10" high and have a long torso but short legs. I was prepared to make a typical 34" tall bench but during the build proces ended up with a 37" bench & base prior to cutting it down to size. WOW do I ever like the taller bench height for planning, cutting dovetails and all manner of daily tasks! It alo helps the back pain after al long day of hand tool use!

SO which vise to buy is subjective based on you and your intended uses. But unless you are building a cheap 2X4 bench to get you by for a interm bench, spend the time and dollars to but quality vises that will be fitted into your bench. I spent more money on my total bench than planned but the final project is an investment in my most used tool in the shop and I don't regret it one bit!

Bob in Calgary

Sean Troy
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Sean I spent a lot of time reading everything I could find about woodworking benches and then evaluating the type of work I typically do. Several things made sense and the vises followed the form and function rule:
1) I typically build large furinture projects with lots of large panels; hence, a Lee Valley twin screw vise with the screws set to maximum distance apart (24") gives me lots of room to hold large panels. I made the inner and outer jaws 12" deep and the outer vice face 4" thick - once the jaws grip a panel, it never moves - I love this feature.
2) The front vise is a 9" LV quick release steel vise mortised into a solid 4" thick x 20" wide cherry and maple vise face. It allows for the use of bench dogs and it also gives a lot of substance and holding power but is easy and quick to open and close. I realized in my process review that very seldom do I open the jaws of the front vise very far, but I do a lot of small tweaks to a piece of wood in the vise to get it just right - so quick opening and closing were important. Does this large heavy vice rack? Yes a small amount, about 1/16 inch across the 20" length with a 1" thick board clamped into the vice. I can accept that much racking.
3) I am only 5' 10" high and have a long torso but short legs. I was prepared to make a typical 34" tall bench but during the build proces ended up with a 37" bench & base prior to cutting it down to size. WOW do I ever like the taller bench height for planning, cutting dovetails and all manner of daily tasks! It alo helps the back pain after al long day of hand tool use!

SO which vise to buy is subjective based on you and your intended uses. But unless you are building a cheap 2X4 bench to get you by for a interm bench, spend the time and dollars to but quality vises that will be fitted into your bench. I spent more money on my total bench than planned but the final project is an investment in my most used tool in the shop and I don't regret it one bit!

Bob in Calgary

My bench will have to be taller than the norm. I'm 6'3" with a bad back so the less bending the better. I will read the books as a starting point and I would like to build a good quality bench. time to start saving for some good vises. thanks, Sean

Marcus Ward
12-19-2007, 2:50 PM
Okay I'm reading all the responses here and I get the feeling nobody noticed you said cost was a concern. I recommend the grizzly cabinet maker's vice - http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cabinet-Maker-s-Vise/H7788 - I have it and it works great. And the lee valley tail vise screw and build a good tail vise. If you're on a very tight budget, just buy the screw and construct the tail vise in the traditional manner, if you're not on such a tight budget, buy the one with the guide rails, it'll save you a ton of frustration.

http://www.f-64.org/bench/3.jpg

Sean Troy
12-19-2007, 3:25 PM
Okay I'm reading all the responses here and I get the feeling nobody noticed you said cost was a concern. I recommend the grizzly cabinet maker's vice - http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cabinet-Maker-s-Vise/H7788 - I have it and it works great. And the lee valley tail vise screw and build a good tail vise. If you're on a very tight budget, just buy the screw and construct the tail vise in the traditional manner, if you're not on such a tight budget, buy the one with the guide rails, it'll save you a ton of frustration.

http://www.f-64.org/bench/3.jpg

Thank you for the info. Sean

Don Orr
12-19-2007, 4:15 PM
It reminds me of an old rock-n-roll band. Mostly the tail vise. You know...

Wait for it...

Three Dog Vise !:eek::D

Marcus Ward
12-19-2007, 9:00 PM
Don, I almost shot beer out of my nose reading your response. Luckily, no beer was wasted. Actually it's a 4 dog vise, you just can't see the 4th one in there. :D Killer wit you have, however.

Sean Troy
12-19-2007, 9:26 PM
It reminds me of an old rock-n-roll band. Mostly the tail vise. You know...

Wait for it...

Three Dog Vise !:eek::D

Is this what they call Flat humor? this is the vortex I'm getting sucked into? LOL

jonathan snyder
12-20-2007, 1:14 AM
I agree with Dave, The workbench book is excellent. It will definitely make you think about vise choices and workbench design in a different way. Its a good read even if you are not planning a bench.

Jonathan

lou feicht
12-21-2007, 11:17 PM

Bob in Calgary
I'm about to install a LV twin screw- today or tomorrow. I was wondering if you have experienced any isusue with the jaw being 12 inches deep as opposed to a shorter depth?

Larry Laffer
12-22-2007, 2:16 AM
Well, I guess I'll throw my 2 cents worth into the pot. Great advice on CS's new book. I just received my Woodworker's Book Club magazine, and it's the featured book this month. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Note there are ten additional pages available online, whether you buy the book or not. They are on making the various ways of making a knockdown bench.
http://blog.lostartpress.com/2007/12/19/Download+A+New+Chapter+To+The+Workbenches+Book+Fre e.aspx

If you want to go cheap but good, build a softwood bench from SYP. Only you can decide what kinds of vices meet your particular woodworking needs. That is where Chris' book will help.

Consider a leg vice. Consider making your own vices from bench screws. Consider no vices at all. You can do most everything you need with clamping bench dogs from Lee Valley/Veritas, a deadman, a couple of wood screws, a bird's mouth jig, planing stops and dogs, bench hooks, etc.

But a least one quick release vice is awfully nice. :D

Oh, forgot to paste in this link..
http://www.geocities.com/plybench/bench.html