PDA

View Full Version : Dado 6 or 8 inch

Chris Barnett
12-18-2007, 8:57 PM
Any real benefit to go with 10-inch dado set [for Griz 1023]? Seems for normal depth of dado cuts, the 8 inch would be adequate; but don't want to make an expensive over/undersight. Thanks for any input.

Steven J Corpstein
12-18-2007, 9:10 PM
I was always told that the rule of thumb for dado blades is one size down because of the extra power needed to turn the extra width. Thus 10" saw/8" dado, 12" saw/10"dado.

Dixon Peer
12-18-2007, 9:25 PM
I run a ten inch dado set on a Delta RT40, which saw is capable of running a sixteen inch blade. I really don't see why, given what a dado set up is usually called upon to do, that anyone needs any more than the minimum. Generally, you're cutting grooves either with or across the grain, right? And the grooves are perhaps 3/8" deep. So, what's the need of even what I have?

Gary Keedwell
12-18-2007, 9:43 PM
I have a Uni Saw and an 8" dado and in 18 years I never needed or wanted anything bigger.:eek::rolleyes: ( Hope that sounds OK:p )
Gary

Bruce Wrenn
12-18-2007, 9:49 PM
An 8" set is the most common size. Both cut the same width. The eight can cut deeper than the six, but how many dados have you ever seen than were more than 1/4" - 3/4" deep? Mainly it is a matter of price, with the 6" being marginally cheaper, but the 8" having better resale if you should up grade. I run a Freud SD208 and Forrest 8" Dado King on my Delta contractor's saw, with no problems.

Greg Peterson
12-18-2007, 9:50 PM
Chris,

Don't make the same mistake I made and buy a relatively inexpensive dado set.

The set I have does not leave a flat bottom and tear out on the back side. I am going to get the Freud SD508, but I'll have to break the piggy bank. But it's a one time shot.

Comes to tools you're better off taking a big pinch once rather than a series of never ending gotcha's.

As for the size, bigger isn't always better. What's the deepest dado or rabbet you're going to cut? 1/2"? I would think an 8" set would be adequate for most users.

Art Mann
12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I have an 8" Freud set but have never even approached the full depth capacity. Even a 6" set would probably be fine. I think it is more important to get a high quality set than to get a large diameter set.

Gary Keedwell
12-18-2007, 11:06 PM
I have an 8" Freud set but have never even approached the full depth capacity. Even a 6" set would probably be fine. I think it is more important to get a high quality set than to get a large diameter set.
I'll second that. For a hobbyist, it could last a lifetime so get the best you can afford.:)
Gary

Eddie Darby
12-19-2007, 4:53 AM
What is the maximum depth of dado that you will be cutting?

Then get the smallest diameter blade that will allow you to do that cut.

The smaller the blade, the less mass, the less load on your bearings, the longer your saw will stay accurate.

No matter what size of blade you have, these babies are best when used in 'nibble' mode. You don't want to be hogging off material with these.

The bigger the blade, the more mass, the greater the load on your bearings, but you will have greater momentum, which is only needed for really big bites, to prevent dangerous bogging down, which should not be the case here, if you 'nibble' with small light cuts.

Charles McCracken
12-19-2007, 7:13 AM
Any real benefit to go with 10-inch dado set [for Griz 1023]? Seems for normal depth of dado cuts, the 8 inch would be adequate; but don't want to make an expensive over/undersight. Thanks for any input.

Chris,

You didn't mention what saw you will be running the dado set on. Unless it is a 12" or larger, I doubt the manufacturer recommends over 8" and often no more than 6". Check the user's manual for the max and keep in mind that an 8" requires 33% more torque than a 6" and a 10" requires 25% more torque than an 8".

frank shic
12-19-2007, 7:18 AM
the freud sd506 gives excellent chip-free cuts and i haven't had the need to get the extra two inches from an 8 inch stack.

glenn bradley
12-19-2007, 8:05 AM
I run an 8". A 6" would be too small on my setup. I have a 1/2" thick ZCI and then (generally) pass through a 3/4" base on my dado sled so an 8" works well for me. So, diameter will depend on how you plan to use it. On Frank's setup a 6" is fine, possibly on yours too. I run the SD508. I would go at least that quality or better.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2007, 9:43 AM
A 6 inch set will be too small if you want to use it with a croscut sled for dadoing.

If you're grooving, you will be using the rip fence so the additional depth of cut may not be required.

Regards.

P.S. Purchase a good set ( a couple hundred dollars aproximately), money spent on good tools is an investment, money spent on inferior tools is generally wasted.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Yes. Depends of course on your motor but, yes.

I have often wanted a deeper dado cut than is possible with an 8" cutterhead.

Bruce Wrenn
12-19-2007, 10:46 PM
What is the maximum depth of dado that you will be cutting?

Then get the smallest diameter blade that will allow you to do that cut.

The smaller the blade, the less mass, the less load on your bearings, the longer your saw will stay accurate.

No matter what size of blade you have, these babies are best when used in 'nibble' mode. You don't want to be hogging off material with these.

The bigger the blade, the more mass, the greater the load on your bearings, but you will have greater momentum, which is only needed for really big bites, to prevent dangerous bogging down, which should not be the case here, if you 'nibble' with small light cuts.The bearings in my saws are 6203's. They are pretty much a standard bearing. I wouldn't worry about loading these bearings. They are also common in tensioner pulleys on cars. Think how many HP it takes to run AC compressor, alternator, and power steering pump, all at the same time. The tensioner and it's associated bearings have to handle all this load. Plus, you can get 6203's for less than $3.00 each, in lots of ten, delivered to your door. Installed a couple in a Delta Contractor's saw motor tonight Took about thirty minutes.

Steve Marcq
12-20-2007, 9:01 PM
I say go with the 8" - the tip speed is faster, and thus smoother all things considered, than the smaller 6" due to the fixed rpm's x greater circumference. Also, you won't have to crank the dado up and down so much changing blades.