PDA

View Full Version : Laminating different woods?

Darl Bundren
12-18-2007, 8:33 PM
I am going to make some books for Christmas gifts, and I am thinking that I might saw some thin slices of oak and cedar and glue one of each of those together to make the covers, which would be like a two ply laminate (oak on the outside, cedar on the inside). The total thickness would be around 1/4" to 3/8" when I was finished. Two questions:

Will the different species of wood differ in terms of stability to where the covers would curl or cup? I am planning on using quartersawn white oak, which I think is fairly stable...

If I glue four plys together, would that improve stability? I am hoping to get a friend of mine to saw them on his bandsaw, and I trust that he could slice some veneer-thin slices.

I hope all of your holiday preparations are going well; I am behind as usual!

Jamie Buxton
12-18-2007, 8:44 PM
Does your design want the grain direction in all the laminates run the same? Or are you thinking more like plywood, where the laminates alternate directions? If the latter, an even number of laminates is a bad idea. It makes an unbalanced panel.

Darl Bundren
12-18-2007, 9:34 PM
Does your design want the grain direction in all the laminates run the same? Or are you thinking more like plywood, where the laminates alternate directions? If the latter, an even number of laminates is a bad idea. It makes an unbalanced panel.

I was thinking I'd run them all the same. What do you mean by unbalanced?

Also, I forgot to mention that the finished covers will probably be 4" wide by 6" tall.