PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have trouble with a Griz drum sander?

Bill Wyko
12-18-2007, 7:54 PM
I know someone with one and it has blown the sand strap into pieces. Even when taking a very small amount of material off.

Steve Milito
12-18-2007, 8:47 PM
I know someone with one and it has blown the sand strap into pieces. Even when taking a very small amount of material off.

Which model?

Steve Clardy
12-18-2007, 8:59 PM

You mean the sand paper?

Chris Zenda
12-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I have one and its a pretty nice unit although the supplied 32mm spanner wrench to change drums is terrible, It bent out of shape tryng to change the drum the first time and it left me high and dry until I located a replacement wrench on E-Bay.

Richard Wolf
12-19-2007, 7:50 AM
I have the Shop Fox 26" dual drum sander. There is a learning curve with all velcro drum sanders. The principal is that when the drums rotate, the paper will almost lift off the drum. The first pass must be very light. I start my wood into the machine with no contact and than lower the drums to just make contact. Once I have evened out the surface and removed any sharp edges I will lower it to a more aggressive cut. Never forgetting that it is not a wide belt sander.
In fairness, I have been happy with the machine and it is hands down, better than my old Delta 18/36, which was a toy and of no use in a professional shop.

Richard

Roy Fleming
12-19-2007, 9:36 AM
I have an older griz 16" dual drum sander and the only time the paper came loose is when the tape used to hold the paper to the drum on the right hand side failed.

Bill Wyko
12-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I, myself have a performax 22-44 and I love it. I just can't figure why he blew belts to pieces.

Alan Schaffter
12-19-2007, 5:39 PM
I have an older 25" G1066 and haven't gotten around to upgrading to H&L. But with both systems you need to carefully wrap the abrasive. Then as stated earlier, only take the lightest pass. It is a sander, not a planer.

A question for other drum sander owners- has anyone tried to use band clamps instead of tape on the ends of the abrasive strips? I realize it may introduce a little out-of-balance situation, but don't think it would be too bad.

Carroll Courtney
12-19-2007, 5:46 PM
Bill,does he have it connected to a dust collector?I was told not to never use one without a dust collector because of all the dust builds up around the drums and that will build up heat.I sure he does,but had to ask.Good luck to your friend.