PDA

View Full Version : Economical Business Cards Technique?

Ed Maloney
12-18-2007, 7:35 PM
Hi folks - I've been trying to fine tune settings so a wood (1/32") business card can be priced reasonable. I need something in the 30 second range so I can charge around $1/card for the high end construction companies.

I've tried color mapping and optimizing graphics for the mapping process. Anyone actually having success at selling these things for an OK profit? I'm thinking not.

Joe Pelonio
12-18-2007, 7:59 PM
I do them with veneer, and have so far managed to sell them in small quantities (50-100) for $2 each, mostly to woodworking related people.
I also use them myself.

Scott Shepherd
12-18-2007, 8:15 PM
I haven't done the wood ones for profit either. I do make my own business cards out of rowmark plastic and it's amazing to me that everyone who gets one play with it and remark "Wow, that's a nice business card". No fancy design or anything, but it's different and no one throws them away (which was my goal).

I partner with a printer guy from time to time, and we've talked about it a few times, but every time I tell him those types of things are $1 each, he cringes.

At $1 each, it's something you want to hand out personally, not something you want to sit on a desk so people can help themselves :)

Eric Allen
12-18-2007, 9:00 PM
I quoted a guy $3 for lots under 50, larger lots $2. It's not really worth it as far as I can see, too much wood prep. If you have nothing better to do and can sit on prepped stock, maybe. That was on 1/8 to 1/16th basswood. Probably a lot more profitable ways to spend the time. I can't imagine a wood card that is viable at $1 per. You can count on spending some time with the customer getting the look they want too, even with a good design. Unless he wants to pay design time, of course:D

Mike Hood
12-18-2007, 9:52 PM
I bought 78 half sheets (4' x 4') of 1/64" ply at an estate sale last year ($80 for the bunch!) ... and I still can't see how I'd ever make any money with them. :)

Eric Allen
12-18-2007, 11:21 PM
I bought 78 half sheets (4' x 4') of 1/64" ply at an estate sale last year ($80 for the bunch!) ... and I still can't see how I'd ever make any money with them. :)

Hmmm...Now THAT I might turn a buck on:)

Mike Hood
12-19-2007, 1:25 AM
Yeah... but even with near free wood... the time will eat you up.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it all.

Brian Robison
12-19-2007, 8:37 AM
Sell some to us!!

Joe Pelonio
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah... but even with near free wood... the time will eat you up.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it all.
Try selling postcards to Boy Scout and other camps, that they can sell at the camp stores. I did that for several years with one on the Hood Canal where my son was working summers. I'd put the scout logo, a photo of the entrance, and return address on it. The campers would write on them and mail home. Seems like a good way to do direct mail advertising for laser services too, as postcards.

Eric Allen
12-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Sell some to us!!

Heh, I was thinking that too:) That stuff is sooo thin though...

Larry Bratton
12-19-2007, 1:51 PM
For the life of me..I can't figure out how to make any money doing business cards. Not with a laser or a printer. I can buy paper cards cheaper than I can print them. Lasered wood cards are a nice novelty to pass out to promote your own business, but their isn't any money in making them for pay. You can't get enough for them to pay for all the time that goes into em.

Stephen Beckham
12-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Larry - I concur... But will submit to you that in our line of work, those business cards may be worth more than a profit for you if used correctly.

I use them at barter, somethings I just don't have time to do things and I'll con (couldn't think of a better word) a local guy into doing some free labor in return for some free business cards. Yea - it's laser time, but honestly, once setup in the system - it's not much work on your part, but good trade material. My local guy here has given me an open request - when my laser is not being used, make him wood cards and wood lables to put on his handmade products.