PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench/Table Vise

Sean Troy
12-18-2007, 6:56 PM
Hello all, after I get back in town from visiting family during the holidays, I want to start building my work bench. What type of vise (s) should I be installing? Expense is somewhat of a concern after spending more than I was going to,to build the new shop but I don't want to get junk either. The planned length of the bench is 8 ft. but I,m not sure on width yet. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Sean

Tom Veatch
12-18-2007, 7:30 PM
Hello all, after I get back in town from visiting family during the holidays, I want to start building my work bench. What type of vise (s) should I be installing? Expense is somewhat of a concern after spending more than I was going to,to build the new shop but I don't want to get junk either. The planned length of the bench is 8 ft. but I,m not sure on width yet. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Sean

Depends entirely on what you will be doing on the bench. Traditionally, there are two general types of benches, joiner and cabinet maker, each with their own arrangement of vises. A workbench is a very personal item so rather than say, "Get this vise" or "Get that vise", I'm going to recommend that you get a book or two and let it help you decide on just what you want and how it should be arranged. Three books in my library that have proved helpful are (in order of my recommendation):

"Workbenches From Design & Theory to ...", Christopher Schwarz, ISBN-10: 1-55870-840-5 and ISBN-13: 978-1-55870-840-2
"The Workbench Book", Scott Landis, ISBN 1-56158-271-0
"Making Workbenches", Sam Allen, ISBN 0-8069-0535-2

James Phillips
12-18-2007, 7:33 PM
To save space and $$ in my shop here is my solution. Provides plenty of clamping pressure for my needs
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69702

Zahid Naqvi
12-18-2007, 9:15 PM
Sean, you might get better response if you move this thread to the Neander side.

Sean Troy
12-18-2007, 9:29 PM
Sean, you might get better response if you move this thread to the Neander side.

Will do thanks. I did get some good help here also. sean