PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw advice

Justin Bukoski
12-18-2007, 5:55 PM
I need to pick up a scroll saw for a few projects. I don't anticipate using it very often and I wanted to get some feedback and see if I should be overly concerned with price/features. Right now I'm just considering buying the cheapest one they have at Lowes.

George Bregar
12-18-2007, 5:57 PM
Might want to chek craigslist then...I see them all the time cheap.

Jon Lanier
12-18-2007, 8:50 PM
Craigslist sounds good. But as for cheap... that hurts even typing that... but I understand. :o

I would reckon if I had to do only a few projects and was going cheap on a scroll saw, I'd probably look at the delta or even craftsman, stay away from Ryobi.

If you were close buy, and since your just doing a few things you might want to see if you can borrow or use someones in your area? If you were in my area I'd have no problem you coming over and cutting on my saw.
Here my oldest working away on the RBI G4.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9328/calebonthesawda0.jpg

Dave Lehnert
12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I have used a few low end saws and could not keep from breaking the blade. They were Craftsman and Ryobi saw that were like $99 to $129. They were for the most part unusable and just did not know what I was doing wrong. I picked up the Dewalt saw and became an expert right away. I now enjoy scroll awing a lot now. But it is a $500 saw. Well worth the price IMHO. And this is from a person that likes to get buy cheap as possible.

If you want low end you can always use a coping saw for $7.00.

This model got a good review in a magazine for the price.(Much Deferent from the one I had)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921601000P?sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Scroll+Saws

You can also go to Woodmagazine.com and they have a scroll saw forum if you want more info on any saw.

James Suzda
12-19-2007, 5:47 AM
I bought one of those Delta "$99" specials several years ago and it has all the bells and whistles you might need for light duty projects. It's pinless, variable speed, and seems to do a good job. But then again, I've never used one of those high priced, high end scroll saws to compare it with.