PDA

View Full Version : Cradle Progress Report (pics)

Dave Richards
02-21-2004, 10:17 PM
It's a good thing God picked Noah and not me to build the ark! I'd never have made it in time.

Planks 5 and 6 are on but still need to be trimmed. Hope that baby holds out long enough.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/Thirdplanks1.jpg
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/Thirdplanks2.jpg
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/Thirdplanks4.jpg
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/Thirdplanks3.jpg

John Miliunas
02-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey Dave, that's coming along nicely, I'd say! And I sincerely think you'll have it knocked out before Kari says, "It's time to go now!" I think you're only about 10 steps ahead of where I'd have been by now. 'Course, the big difference being, you actually know what you're doing!

BTW, you gonna' incorporate any stuff off your Legacy on this piece? Got a quick peek at one today at the toy show. Awful tempting... But then, the guy demo'ing it, knew what he was doing, too! :cool:

Bruce Page
02-22-2004, 12:32 AM
It’s looking great Dave, I’m really looking forward to seeing it completed.

Tony Sade
02-22-2004, 7:39 AM
but what kind of clamps are those? (You know why I'm asking-maybe I need some. Can never have too many you know, and why shouldn't I have these, dear?) Nice work! Will the cradle go in some kind of frame, or rocker?

BTW-How do you like the Jet cannister DC? I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these in hopes both that it will pull a lot more of the finer dust and that I can eventually use it as the basis for a ducted system to all my machines. (Can neither afford nor fit a cyclone in my small shop.) Thanks.

Glenn Clabo
02-22-2004, 7:43 AM
Looking good Dave! Hurry up ;-) ...I can't wait to see it done.

Thanks for the call the other night. I almost got the Rat up yesterday...too many interuptions to finish. Hope to make the first cuts today.

Dave Richards
02-22-2004, 8:24 AM
Thank you all for the nice remarks.

John, I think you're more than up to the task. The only way I could say I know what I'm doing is because I read it in a book. I've never done this before.

As to using the Legacy for it, I don't know. I did use it the other night to make some oak grommets (those things that try to cover a hole where wires are coming through) for a friend's entertainment center.

Bruce, I am too. :D

Tony, the clamps are of my design. I'll send you the drawing and some pictures but they're on my computer at work. You'll have to make them but that will probably be easier to get past your SWMBO.

The cradle will hang from a frame that sort of looks like life boat davits. One on each end with lines coming down and splitting to go out to the quarters.

The Jet canister DC works great. I think it would be a lot nicer if I had the time to install some ducting and knew where the tools should be. Moving it around the shop is a bit like dancing with a bear in an outhouse and the bear wants to lead. :p

Glenn, I'm working as fast as I can. I think my wife wants to see it done, too. Good luck with the Rat. Let me know how it goes.

Tyler Howell
02-22-2004, 9:15 AM
Way cool. I hope to have grand kids some day. Maybe I'll get started now.

Dave Richards
02-23-2004, 9:49 AM
Tyler, thank you. I think you'd find it a pretty easy thing to build and considering what I've seen, you could probably build three or four of them in the time it's taken me to do this one.

Tony, I sent you an e-mail.

Tyler Howell
02-23-2004, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=Dave Richards]Tyler, thank you. I think you'd find it a pretty easy thing to build and considering what I've seen, you could probably build three or four of them in the time it's taken me to do this one.

Dave,
RST is one of my airports. I get down there every 3-4 weeks. Maybe we can hook up. If your in the cities give me a jing.;)

Dave Richards
02-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Tyler, what do you fly that brings you to RST like that? I used to call 21D home when I lived up in St. Paul. Spent lots of time out there. Paid for most of my flight training by pumping gas at the FBO that was there.

We're planning to make a trip up to Nat Cam to get a camera on Saturday. Might be a whirlwind trip depending on what happens with family planning to come to visit. If it doesn't end up being a speedy up and back, I'll let you know.

Dave Richards
02-24-2004, 9:08 AM
Here is a drawing that shows the way the cradle will be mounted.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/btpro.gif
The plans show sheaves (pronounced shivs and more widely known as pulleys) at the top of the uprights with the lines being lead over them and cleated on the outside of the uprights.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/bta.jpg
As in the picture of this cradle, mine will be painted white on the outside, the transoms, keel and rubrails will be walnut. The planks are clear yellow pine and will be varnished on the inside.

What would you make the stand from? Walnut? Cherry? ???

Also, there will be steamed ribs made of ash. Should I stain them to the color of the walnut? I'm not using walnut for the ribs because walnut tends to fade in the presence of steam.

Thanks for your opinions.

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2004, 9:16 AM
Pics don't work Dave!

Dave Richards
02-24-2004, 9:26 AM
Sorry about that Glenn.

This link should get you to the pictures. http://jordanwoodboats.com/bt.htm The drawing is toward the bottom.

Tyler Howell
02-24-2004, 9:40 AM
Tyler, what do you fly that brings you to RST like that? I used to call 21D home when I lived up in St. Paul. Spent lots of time out there. Paid for most of my flight training by pumping gas at the FBO that was there.

Dave,
I fly a Toyota Tundra up and down Hi 53 to the airport. We're building a new RADAR system (ASR 11, the latest all digital RADAR) for you down there. It needs a little look see every now and then. I get to 21D once a year for Safety Inspections and that is where we move the temp. ATCT when the water rises at STP.:(
Scheduled for a run in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.

Dave Richards
02-24-2004, 9:55 AM
Tyler, I'd gather you could land that Tundra on my street, right in front of the house. Let me know when you are coming down.

I suppose it won't be long and ATCT will have to move up from STP because of the water.

Dave Richards
02-24-2004, 11:27 AM
And Website don't work! You're just teasing us.

How now brown cow?

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Got it now...and now I understand the concept.

And for your question...I'm a cherry fan...

But ya know something else... I didn't know steam fades walnut. I thought they steamed walnut when drying to make it richer/deeper in color. Does it only work when drying? Or am I thinking something else?

Dave Richards
02-24-2004, 12:27 PM
But ya know something else... I didn't know steam fades walnut. I thought they steamed walnut when drying to make it richer/deeper in color. Does it only work when drying? Or am I thinking something else?

Glenn, my understanding is that they do steam walnut to even out the color a bit but I've also read that it is possible to over steam it which apparently happens when trying to make it flexible enough to bend.

I like cherry, too. Hmmm.