PDA

View Full Version : My humble shop (Pics)

Michael McCoy
12-18-2007, 4:35 PM
I just moved here around the 1st of July and had it worked out to get the floor and ceiling enclosed and insulated but Murphy was alive and well so that didn't happen. I had downsized house and shop but still manage to use it fairly efficiently. You will notice that I didn't set it up for efficient work flow for a lot of people but for the projects I do, it works and still gives me a bit of an assembly area. The router table doubles as outside for the contractor saw and my drill press doubles as outfeed for the bandsaw. Everything is mobile so I can do a slight shift for longer stock but I can handle around 8 feet without having to shift anything.

Ply is broken down outside using an EZ guide and bench and I just ordered a lift to store the EZ Power Bench on the over head and drop it down onto my contractor saw when needed. My shop is a head hazard for tall people since I have jigs, clamps and just about everything I can from the rafters including wheel barrows on a pulley. The contractor saw serves as my hand plane area with the help of various size bench hooks. The 2x4 gizmo in front of my bench area is the makings of another vertical lumber storage rack so I can get some wall back under control. I'm switching most of my lumber storage to vertical to free up wall space but that's a work in progress. Sorry about the clutter but there's 2 projects underway and no place to hide it while I took pics. :)

Mike Cutler
12-18-2007, 4:43 PM
It looks like a very nice shop Michael.

Who cares if the workflow is great for other folks, or the way it's laid out in a book. As long as it works for you, that's all that's important.

Nice Shop!!;)

Greg Heppeard
12-18-2007, 4:43 PM
Lookin good. As you go, you'll find even more ways to become even more efficient. Don't worry about other people not having room or bumping their heads...it's like a taylor made suit...it fits you and that's a good thing. NICE TOOLS by the way. Post pics of the projects too, please.

Dan Barr
12-18-2007, 5:07 PM
My shop. :D

im cramped and stuffed into mine as well.

If only there was an extra building in my lot.... hmmmmm.

v/r

dan

Jack Camillo
12-18-2007, 5:11 PM
you think yours are cramped! if I can ever fit a camera in there, i'll take a picture

Michael McCoy
12-18-2007, 5:21 PM
I actually had adequate room till I got the urge to upgrade my bench top lathe. That changed things considerably.

Carroll Courtney
12-18-2007, 6:53 PM
Michael,that is a working mans shop,not no pretty boy's shop.

Don Bullock
12-18-2007, 7:28 PM
Michael, if it works for you that's all that matters. You sure have a lot more space than I do. It looks great to me.

Walt Caza
12-18-2007, 7:40 PM
Hi Michael,
I would be comfortable working in your shop space.
I have only known clutter and tight space in my own shop...
Doing more from less clearly demonstrates desire and ingenuity.
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed your shop pics!
be well,
Walt

ps a wood shop is always a work in progress (or so I tell myself)
:)

Michael McCoy
12-18-2007, 7:59 PM
Hi Michael,
I would be comfortable working in your shop space.
I have only known clutter and tight space in my own shop...
Doing more from less clearly demonstrates desire and ingenuity.
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed your shop pics!
be well,
Walt

ps a wood shop is always a work in progress (or so I tell myself)
:)

Thanks all and I'm glad I'm not considered a pretty boy wood worker whatever that is. :)

Walt - I've moved every three years for most of my adult life and hopefully, this is the last one. That's the idea anyway. :)